1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual question on simple harmonic motion

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. a. Jim and Gina are swinging on adjacent swings of equal length. Jim weighs about twice as much as Gina. Who takes less time to swing back and force.
    I got this answer, which is that they take the same time since mass doesn't affect the period in simple harmonic motion. However, I don't get part b below.

b. What, if anything, will change if Jim swings while standing on the seat of his swing?
    I. Jim's period will decrease.
    II. Gina's period will decrease.
    III. No change in the period.

I put no change, however, the answer is wrong, does anyone know why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What things does the period depend on? Think about whether standing vs. sitting in the swing will change any of those things.

4. Nov 16, 2008 #3
    Well I know the equation for period is T=2pi(L/g)^(1/2) however, 2pi and the length are constants, and g, acceleration due to gravity, I believe won't really remotely change to any notable degree so I don't see why the period changes.

5. Nov 16, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What distance does the length L actually refer to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?