Conceptual question on simple harmonic motion

In summary, the period of swinging on equal length swings does not depend on the mass of the person swinging. However, if one person stands on the seat of their swing, their period may change due to a change in the distance of the swing's length. This change in distance may affect the period equation, resulting in a different period for the person standing on the swing compared to the person sitting.
xregina12
1. a. Jim and Gina are swinging on adjacent swings of equal length. Jim weighs about twice as much as Gina. Who takes less time to swing back and force.
I got this answer, which is that they take the same time since mass doesn't affect the period in simple harmonic motion. However, I don't get part b below.

b. What, if anything, will change if Jim swings while standing on the seat of his swing?
I. Jim's period will decrease.
II. Gina's period will decrease.
III. No change in the period.

I put no change, however, the answer is wrong, does anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
What things does the period depend on? Think about whether standing vs. sitting in the swing will change any of those things.

Well I know the equation for period is T=2pi(L/g)^(1/2) however, 2pi and the length are constants, and g, acceleration due to gravity, I believe won't really remotely change to any notable degree so I don't see why the period changes.

What distance does the length L actually refer to?

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a fixed equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium point.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

3. What is the relationship between period and frequency in simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, while the frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time. The relationship between period and frequency is T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

4. What are some examples of simple harmonic motion in everyday life?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion in everyday life include a pendulum swinging, a mass attached to a spring bouncing up and down, and a mass on a rubber band being stretched and released.

5. How does amplitude affect simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion determines the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude results in a greater maximum displacement and a longer period of oscillation.