Confused about units

• Thread starter JesseK
  • Start date
If you want spoon fed answers you are in the wrong place. We encourage students to think for themselves and offer guidance. Saying ”I have no idea, show me” is counter productive and will not help you in the long run.

I have tried to think about it myself as you have probably noticed. Saying that I don't get the idea and asking for help should be completely fine. However, I thank you for giving me this tip.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have tried to think about it myself as you have probably noticed. Saying that I don't get the idea and asking for help should be completely fine. However, I thank you for giving me this tip.
If you have really tried to think about it you have unfortunately done a bad job in communicating it. Your posts have been very brief with no argumentation. To show that you have thought about it, you need to describe what you are doing and why you are doing it. This is the only way that we can follow and correct your thought process.

I am not saying this to be mean or to belittle your work. I am trying to give you an honest advice on how to benefit more from and getting the appropriate guidance.

Mister T
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have tried to think about it myself as you have probably noticed.

Yes, but explaining your thinking is the only path to success. If all you can do is try, and you are not able to explain what you've tried, you will never be able to interact with others in a way that advances your knowledge and promotes your success.

By the way, did you read Post #24?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Note that in that original equation it's not just the units that don't work out right, it's also the numbers! I'm not sure where that original equation came from, but whoever did it needs to understand that you can't just mix units together like that and expect to get an answer that has any meaning.
I think the numbers work out quite well to the given answer:
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(3270+Pa)+/+(1.0+g/cm^3+*+9.81+m/s^2)
The natural interpretation is the height difference required for a pressure difference of 3270 Pa in a medium with density 1 g/cm^3 and a gravitational field of 9.81 m/s^2. The pressure differential given is about 0.03 bar and the density that of water. This result makes perfect sense and is compatible with the fact that (as any scuba diver knows) the pressure at a depth of 10 m is roughly 2 bar (1 bar from the atmosphere and 1 bar from the 10 m water column, meaning 0.1 bar/m).