Confused as to how to simplify this circuit

In summary, the resistance between points X and Y can be found by using the equations for parallel and series resistors and taking into account symmetry in the circuit. The final total resistance is found to be ##R_{T}=\frac{R}{2}+\frac{R}{8+4\sqrt{2}}##.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

circuit.png

The sides of the biggest square have resistance ##R## and length ##L## (the amount of resistance in the wire is equal to the length), the smaller square is placed so that it's corners intersect midway through the sides of the larger square. Find the resistance between points X and Y

Homework Equations

Parallel: ##\frac{1}{R_{eq}}=\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}+\cdots+\frac{1}{R_n}##
Series: ##R_{eq}=R_1+R_2+\cdots R_n##

The Attempt at a Solution

To start off I can see that at the top and bottom of the circuit the L/2 sections are in series so they add together giving L and then this is in parallel with the ##\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}## section of the square. Then the equivalent resistance from that is $$\frac{1}{R_{eq}}=\frac{1}{R}+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{R}$$, i.e. $$R_{eq}=\frac{R}{1+\sqrt{2}}$$

Then I obtain the following circuit:

circuit2.png

At this point I'm currently stuck as I'm not sure how to simplify it further.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use symmetry. Connect a battery to the points X and Y. As the circuit is symmetric to the XY axis, the current from X to A must be the same as from X to B. So The potential drops by the same value from X to A as from X to B. The potential of A is the same as the potential of B, there is no potential difference between A and B, so you can remove the resistor AB, it does not influence the other currents and voltages. Do the same at points C and D, and calculate the resistance of the new circuit.

symres.png

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
Use symmetry. Connect a battery to the points X and Y. As the circuit is symmetric to the XY axis, the current from X to A must be the same as from X to B. So The potential drops by the same value from X to A as from X to B. The potential of A is the same as the potential of B, there is no potential difference between A and B, so you can remove the resistor AB, it does not influence the other currents and voltages. Do the same at points C and D, and calculate the resistance of the new circuit.

Okay I removed those resistors and then I found the total resistance for the entire circuit to be ##R_{T}=R(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2+2\sqrt{2}})##

I'm trying to calculate the total resistance with another cube inside of it now, i.e.

circuits3.png

So we have ##V_a=V_b## and ##V_h=V_i## which allows me to obtain the following circuit:

circuits4.png

And I'm once again stuck as to how I should simplify this. I'm not sure how to deal with the diamond of resistors since they are also connected to the resistor at the top/bottom of the box they're enclosed in.

What do you think about the resistor pairs
af-fh and bg-gj?
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fs2.postimg.org%2F5wh56dkq1%2Fcircuits3.png

Likes Potatochip911
squareres.png

Find more equipotential points. You can connect them with a zero-resistance wire, so they become a single node in the circuit. The colored lines represent such nodes. All four resistors between the blue and green lines are connected - how? and so are those between the green and red lines.

Likes Potatochip911
cnh1995 said:
What do you think about the resistor pairs
af-fh and bg-gj?
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fs2.postimg.org%2F5wh56dkq1%2Fcircuits3.png

They're in series so they add

ehild said:
View attachment 95124
Find more equipotential points. You can connect them with a zero-resistance wire, so they become a single node in the circuit. The colored lines represent such nodes. All four resistors between the blue and green lines are connected - how? and so are those between the green and red lines.

Ok, I've thought quite a bit about how exactly these resistors are connected and I've come to the conclusion that I should split up the top and bottom resistor in the blue-green node rectangle into two resistors with half of the original resistance. (also I've placed a R/2 resistor at the front to represent the R/2 resistors in parallel at the very start and very end of the circuit).

circuits5.png

In this case ##R_1## is half of the parallel combination af-fh & ah which gives ##R_1=\frac{1}{2}\frac{R}{1+\sqrt{2}}=\frac{R}{2+2\sqrt{2}}## and by symmetry ##R_1=R_3##, from trig the resistance of cd/ce is R/2 and since they're in parallel this gives R/4 for their combination which I've assigned as ##R_2## (the resistor in the middle). Since these resistors are all in parallel and it's the same resistors in parallel twice the resistance from the parallel combination is:
$$\frac{1}{R_{||}}=\frac{2(2+\sqrt{2})}{R}+\frac{4}{R}\Rightarrow R_{||}=\frac{R}{8+4\sqrt{2}}$$

Therefore the total resistance is ##R_{T}=\frac{R}{2}+\frac{R}{8+4\sqrt{2}}##, is this correct?

Potatochip911 said:
Therefore the total resistance is ##R_{T}=\frac{R}{2}+\frac{R}{8+4\sqrt{2}}##, is this correct?

Yes.

Likes Potatochip911

1. How do I determine which components are in series and which are in parallel?

In order to determine which components are in series and which are in parallel, you can follow these steps:

• Identify all the nodes in the circuit.
  • If two components are connected at the same node, they are in parallel.
  • If two components are connected in a single loop with no other components in between, they are in series.

2. How do I simplify complex circuits with multiple resistors?

To simplify complex circuits with multiple resistors, you can use the following methods:

• Combine resistors in series by adding their values.
  • Combine resistors in parallel using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...
  • Repeat the series and parallel combination steps until all resistors have been simplified.

3. What is the purpose of simplifying a circuit?

The purpose of simplifying a circuit is to make it easier to analyze and understand. By reducing the number of components and simplifying the circuit, it becomes easier to calculate the voltage, current, and other important parameters of the circuit.

4. How do I determine the total resistance of a simplified circuit?

To determine the total resistance of a simplified circuit, you can use the formula Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... for resistors in series, or the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... for resistors in parallel. Simply plug in the values of the resistors in your circuit to calculate the total resistance.

5. Can simplifying a circuit affect the accuracy of my calculations?

Yes, simplifying a circuit can affect the accuracy of your calculations. This is because simplification involves combining resistors and may change the original circuit's characteristics, such as the total resistance or voltage drop. It is important to double-check your calculations and make any necessary adjustments after simplifying a circuit.