Solving ODE Confusion: x>0, y≠0

In summary, the author is unsure about the restriction on x and what happens to the original de. The solution curve passes through points where the x-coordinate is to the left of x_0.
Benny
I've got a test coming up in a few weeks so I've been going through some exercises that I've done and one that I've come across has got me really worried.

[tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = \frac{{x^2 + y^2 }}{{2xy}},y\left( 3 \right) = 2
[/tex]

The answer is [tex]y = \sqrt {x^2 - \frac{{5x}}{3}} ,x \ge \frac{5}{3}[/tex].

The thing which I am unsure about is the restriction on x. If x = 5/3 then y = 0 but then what happens to the original DE? Looking at the original DE, I see that the denominator on the RHS has xy. Then for the solution, the x values I can have are either x > 1 and or x < 1, ie x cannot be equal to zero. Similarly in the solution, I can't have y = 0. The IC y(3) = 2 implies x > 0 doesn't it? Ok that's fine in terms of the answer that's been given. But what about the values of y? As I said before when x = 5/3 > 0, y = 0 but how can that be given the way that the DE has been written?

Edit: When I have an IVP for example y' = f(x), y(x_0) = y_0, does the solution curve pass through points in which the x-coordinate is to the left of x_0(ie. does the solution curve pass through (x,y) where x < x_0)? I'm wondering if it is correct to assume that the initial conditions are there simply to give you one specific piece of info in the solution curve and does NOT entail any other restrictions on the solution curve.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The general solution is:

[tex]y(x)=\pm\sqrt{x^2+Kx}[/tex]

of which your particular solution is as given.

[itex]x=5/3[/itex] simply is where the slope is vertical. You know it's a parabola on its side right? Just use the piece that fits the initial conditions. If you had an IVP with a negative value for y, then use the negative part. Don't know where you're getting the x>1 and x<1. For your IVP, the domain is [itex]x\ge 5/3[/itex].

The initial condition only specifies "find a solution which passes through the point given". That's it. Says nothing about what x can be. In the particular case above, x cannot be less than that because of the radical.

Try and look at an IVP as a question: Find a function which has the slope given by the ODE and passes through the point given. May only be a part of some complex looping curve in the x-y plane, may be a nice function, maybe no function works which meets the criteria specified, or maybe more than one or even an infinite number. For your IVP, the top half of a sideways parabola meets the criteria and that parabola does not exist for x<5/3.

Ok then thanks for your help.

1. What is the difference between an ODE and a PDE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) involves a single independent variable, while a PDE (partial differential equation) involves multiple independent variables. In other words, an ODE has only one variable changing with respect to another, while a PDE has multiple variables changing with respect to each other.

2. How do I know if an ODE has a solution?

There are several methods for determining if an ODE has a solution, including solving analytically, using numerical methods, or checking for existence and uniqueness theorems. In general, the solution to an ODE can only be determined if certain conditions are met, such as having a continuous and differentiable equation.

3. What does it mean for x to be greater than 0 in an ODE?

In an ODE, the independent variable (typically denoted as x) represents a quantity that can vary over a range of values. When x is greater than 0, it means that the equation is only valid for values of x that are greater than 0. This can affect the behavior of the solution and how it changes with respect to the independent variable.

4. Why is it important that y is not equal to 0 in an ODE?

In an ODE, the dependent variable (typically denoted as y) represents the solution to the equation. When y is not equal to 0, it means that the solution is not equal to 0 for any value of the independent variable. This can have significant implications for the behavior of the solution and the validity of the equation.

5. Can an ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, an ODE can have multiple solutions. This is often the case when the equation is not fully specified or when certain conditions are not met. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and any given conditions to determine if there is a unique solution or if there are multiple possible solutions.