1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing problem? HELP please

1. Dec 29, 2007 #1
    Confusing problem? HELP please!!

i am trying to solve this problem:

In the 1950s, an experimental train that had a mass of 2.60 X 10^4 kg was powered across a level track by a jet engine that produced a thrust of 5.25 X 10^5 N for a distance of 509 m. Assume that air resistance is negligible.

i am trying to find out the change in kinetic energy of the train and the final kinetic energy. however i cannot figure out what the velocity of the train is. Can anyone help please or provided an equation??

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You don't need it.
    You are to find the CHANGE in the kinetic energy; that can be calculated by the work done by the force given.

4. Dec 29, 2007 #3
    im not understanding.. so find the change in work???

5. Dec 29, 2007 #4
    Speed equation?

how would i find the speed of the train in this problem:

In the 1950s, an experimental train that had a mass of 2.60 104 kg was powered across a level track by a jet engine that produced a thrust of 5.25 105 N for a distance of 509 m. Assume that air resistance is negligible.

The equation is d/t but i do not know what the time is. can anyone help please????

[Edit: Multiple threads merged. One thread per problem please! - Doc Al]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  6. Dec 29, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

7. Dec 29, 2007 #6
    If I assume the acceleration to be uniform, I would suggest to use the kinematic equation :
    [itex]V_{f}^{2}=V_{i}^{2}+2*a*d[/itex]

as you know d and a.

8. Dec 29, 2007 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, force times distance equals change in kinetic energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?