Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conical tank calc help

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    I have a calculus question and was wondering if some could help me see what I am doing wrong in this question. Thank you

A conical tank with an altitude of 10m and whose base has a radius of 4m is mounted with its vertex down. The tank is full of water which is draining through the vertex at the rate of 5 m^3/min. how fast is the level of the water dropping when the radius is 3?

the answer is 5pi/9

this is how i did it:

r/h=4/10
    h=5pi/2

V=[(pi)(r^2)(h)]/3
    V=[(pi)(r^2)(5r/2)]/3
    V=[pi5r^3]/6
    dv/dt=[15pi(r^2)]/6] * dr/dt
    5=[(15pi(3^2)]/6] * dr/dt
    dr/dt= (2pi)/9

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    Firstly, the answer is actually [tex]\frac{5}{9\pi}\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{min}}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{5\pi}{9}\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{min}}[/tex].

Secondly, are you sure [tex]\frac{d r}{d t}[/tex] is what the question is looking for? Re-read it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  4. Mar 17, 2005 #3
    Notice how the question asks for how fast the level of the water is dropping. This would mean a change in height with respect to time, not the radius. Since it's asking for the rate of change when the radius is 3 then:

[tex] r=\frac{3h}{10} [/tex]
    [tex] V=\frac{1}{3} \pi (\frac{3h}{10})^2 h [/tex]
    [tex] V= \frac {3}{100} \pi h^3 [/tex]
    [tex] \frac {dV}{dt}= \frac{9}{100} \pi h^2 \frac{dh}{dt} [/tex]

Solving for dh/dt should get you the answer [tex] \frac{5}{9\pi}\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{min}}[/tex] as stated above by Data.

5. Mar 17, 2005 #4
    You actually need to use [tex]r = \frac{2h}{5}[/tex]. But other than that you're completely right.

6. Mar 18, 2005 #5
    thanks for your help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook