1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conical tank calc help

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    I have a calculus question and was wondering if some could help me see what I am doing wrong in this question. Thank you

A conical tank with an altitude of 10m and whose base has a radius of 4m is mounted with its vertex down. The tank is full of water which is draining through the vertex at the rate of 5 m^3/min. how fast is the level of the water dropping when the radius is 3?

the answer is 5pi/9

this is how i did it:

r/h=4/10
    h=5pi/2

V=[(pi)(r^2)(h)]/3
    V=[(pi)(r^2)(5r/2)]/3
    V=[pi5r^3]/6
    dv/dt=[15pi(r^2)]/6] * dr/dt
    5=[(15pi(3^2)]/6] * dr/dt
    dr/dt= (2pi)/9

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    Firstly, the answer is actually [tex]\frac{5}{9\pi}\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{min}}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{5\pi}{9}\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{min}}[/tex].

Secondly, are you sure [tex]\frac{d r}{d t}[/tex] is what the question is looking for? Re-read it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  4. Mar 17, 2005 #3
    Notice how the question asks for how fast the level of the water is dropping. This would mean a change in height with respect to time, not the radius. Since it's asking for the rate of change when the radius is 3 then:

[tex] r=\frac{3h}{10} [/tex]
    [tex] V=\frac{1}{3} \pi (\frac{3h}{10})^2 h [/tex]
    [tex] V= \frac {3}{100} \pi h^3 [/tex]
    [tex] \frac {dV}{dt}= \frac{9}{100} \pi h^2 \frac{dh}{dt} [/tex]

Solving for dh/dt should get you the answer [tex] \frac{5}{9\pi}\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{min}}[/tex] as stated above by Data.

5. Mar 17, 2005 #4
    You actually need to use [tex]r = \frac{2h}{5}[/tex]. But other than that you're completely right.

6. Mar 18, 2005 #5
    thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?