How to Solve a Conical Tank Calculus Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a calculus question involving a conical tank with water draining through its vertex. The question asks how fast the level of the water is dropping when the radius is 3. The correct answer is 5/9pi m/min and it involves using the formula for volume of a cone and applying the chain rule to find the rate of change of the height with respect to time.
punjabi_monster
I have a calculus question and was wondering if some could help me see what I am doing wrong in this question. Thank you

A conical tank with an altitude of 10m and whose base has a radius of 4m is mounted with its vertex down. The tank is full of water which is draining through the vertex at the rate of 5 m^3/min. how fast is the level of the water dropping when the radius is 3?

the answer is 5pi/9

this is how i did it:

r/h=4/10
h=5pi/2

V=[(pi)(r^2)(h)]/3
V=[(pi)(r^2)(5r/2)]/3
V=[pi5r^3]/6
dv/dt=[15pi(r^2)]/6] * dr/dt
5=[(15pi(3^2)]/6] * dr/dt
dr/dt= (2pi)/9

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, the answer is actually [tex]\frac{5}{9\pi}\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{min}}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{5\pi}{9}\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{min}}[/tex].

Secondly, are you sure [tex]\frac{d r}{d t}[/tex] is what the question is looking for? Re-read it.

Last edited:
punjabi_monster said:
I have a calculus question and was wondering if some could help me see what I am doing wrong in this question. Thank you

A conical tank with an altitude of 10m and whose base has a radius of 4m is mounted with its vertex down. The tank is full of water which is draining through the vertex at the rate of 5 m^3/min. how fast is the level of the water dropping when the radius is 3?
the answer is 5pi/9

this is how i did it:

r/h=4/10
h=5pi/2

V=[(pi)(r^2)(h)]/3
V=[(pi)(r^2)(5r/2)]/3
V=[pi5r^3]/6
dv/dt=[15pi(r^2)]/6] * dr/dt
5=[(15pi(3^2)]/6] * dr/dt
dr/dt= (2pi)/9

Notice how the question asks for how fast the level of the water is dropping. This would mean a change in height with respect to time, not the radius. Since it's asking for the rate of change when the radius is 3 then:

[tex] r=\frac{3h}{10} [/tex]
[tex] V=\frac{1}{3} \pi (\frac{3h}{10})^2 h [/tex]
[tex] V= \frac {3}{100} \pi h^3 [/tex]
[tex] \frac {dV}{dt}= \frac{9}{100} \pi h^2 \frac{dh}{dt} [/tex]

Solving for dh/dt should get you the answer [tex] \frac{5}{9\pi}\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{min}}[/tex] as stated above by Data.

You actually need to use [tex]r = \frac{2h}{5}[/tex]. But other than that you're completely right.

thanks for your help.

1. How do I calculate the volume of a conical tank?

The formula for calculating the volume of a conical tank is V = (1/3)πr²h, where V is the volume, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the tank. Plug in the values for r and h and solve for V.

2. How do I determine the surface area of a conical tank?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a conical tank is A = πrl + πr², where A is the surface area, r is the radius of the base, and l is the slant height of the tank. Plug in the values for r and l and solve for A.

3. Can I use the same formula for both calculating volume and surface area of a conical tank?

No, the formula for calculating volume (V = (1/3)πr²h) is different from the formula for calculating surface area (A = πrl + πr²). Make sure to use the correct formula depending on what measurement you are trying to find.

4. How do I convert the measurements to the correct units for the calculations?

If your measurements are in different units, make sure to convert them to the same unit before plugging them into the formulas. For example, if the height of the tank is given in feet and the radius is given in inches, convert both to either feet or inches before using them in the formulas.

5. Are there any online calculators or tools available for conical tank calculations?

Yes, there are many online calculators and tools available for conical tank calculations. Some popular ones include Math Warehouse, Omni Calculator, and Calculator Soup. These calculators can help you solve for volume, surface area, and other measurements of a conical tank.