Conservation of Angular Momentum and Energy

In summary, at perihelion, a comet has a radial distance of r1 and a velocity of v1. To find the radial distance and velocity at aphelion, the equations L=mvr=I*\omega and E=.5mv^2+U can be used, with the understanding that F=GMm/r^2 may not apply if the chapter on Newton's Gravitation was skipped. By labeling the unknown radial distance as r2 and the unknown velocity as v2, the equation v1*r1=v2*r2 can be used to relate the two unknowns. Another approach is to use the equation .5m*v1^2-GMm/r1=.5m*v2^2-G
Woodgoat

Homework Statement

We measure a comet at perihelion to have a radial distance r1 and a velocity v1. Find the radial distance and velocity when it reaches aphelion.

Homework Equations

L=mvr=I*[tex]\omega[/tex]
E=.5mv^2+U

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor skipped the chapter on Newton's Gravitation, F=GMm/r^2, so I don't think it applies here.

The book is entirely symbolic--the answer expected should be in terms of v1 and r1.

I labeled the radial distance and velocity r2 and v2, respectively. Since L is constant, m*v1*r1 = m*v2*r2, or v1*r1=v2*r2. Of course, this equation only gives the unknown radial distance in terms of the unknown velocity, or vice versa.

I don't think U = -GMm/r would apply here, since, again, my professor skipped the chapter on gravitation. I tried solving using a second equality, .5m*v1^2-GMm/r1=.5m*v2^2-GMm/r2, but when I solved the system of equations with Mathematica, I got a gigantic mess for an answer.

I appreciate your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think both your equations correct, you just did something wrong with the calculations. :smile:

BTW, what's mathematica ? Are you using a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematica" to solve these equations ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Conservation of angular momentum and energy are fundamental laws of physics that apply to many different systems, including the motion of comets. In this situation, we can use these principles to find the radial distance and velocity of the comet when it reaches aphelion.

Firstly, let's consider the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is acting on it. In this case, the only external force acting on the comet is the gravitational force, which is central and therefore does not produce any torque. This means that the angular momentum of the comet remains constant throughout its motion.

We can express the angular momentum of the comet as L = mvr, where m is its mass, v is its velocity, and r is the radial distance from the center of the orbit. Since the angular momentum is constant, we can equate the values at perihelion (r1 and v1) to the values at aphelion (r2 and v2). This gives us the equation mvr1 = mvr2, or v1r1 = v2r2.

Next, let's consider the conservation of energy, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant. We can express the total energy of the comet as the sum of its kinetic energy (½mv^2) and its potential energy (U = -GMm/r). At perihelion, the comet has the maximum kinetic energy and minimum potential energy, and at aphelion, it has the minimum kinetic energy and maximum potential energy. Therefore, we can equate the values at perihelion to the values at aphelion, giving us the equation ½mv1^2 - GMm/r1 = ½mv2^2 - GMm/r2.

Now, we have two equations (v1r1 = v2r2 and ½mv1^2 - GMm/r1 = ½mv2^2 - GMm/r2) with two unknowns (r2 and v2). We can solve this system of equations to find the values of r2 and v2. This can be done algebraically or by using a software program like Mathematica.

In conclusion, by applying the principles of conservation of angular momentum and energy, we can find the radial distance and velocity of the comet at aphelion. These principles are important tools in understanding the motion of celestial

1. What is the principle of conservation of angular momentum?

The principle of conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if no external forces act on a system, the total angular momentum before an event must be equal to the total angular momentum after the event.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object, while linear momentum is a measure of the translational motion of an object. Angular momentum depends on the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation, while linear momentum depends on the mass and velocity of an object.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The greater the rotational inertia of an object, the more angular momentum it will have for a given rotational speed. This is because the angular momentum is directly proportional to the rotational inertia.

4. How does conservation of energy relate to conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This applies to the conservation of angular momentum as well. In a closed system, the total energy and total angular momentum must remain constant, so any change in one will result in a corresponding change in the other.

5. Can angular momentum and energy be conserved in an open system?

In an open system, where external forces can act on the system, angular momentum and energy may not be conserved. However, if the external forces are small or negligible, the conservation laws can still be applied with a high degree of accuracy. In most real-world situations, it is more practical to consider the system as a closed system for the purpose of calculating changes in angular momentum and energy.