Evaluating the rate of increase of charge at x=2 yields a value of 16.

In summary, the law of conservation of charge states that the net current due to flow of charge from a closed surface is equal to the time rate of decrease of charge within the volume bounded by that surface. This applies to any volume, including a cubical volume bounded by x,y,z planes. To find the time rate of increase of charge in this volume, the dot product of the current density and the vector passing out perpendicular to the box must be integrated over each surface. It was determined that the current density is in the negative x direction and the vector points out of the cube in the negative y direction. By evaluating the integral at x=2, it was found that the current leaving the box is 16x. However, this is
robert25pl
The law of conservation of charge states that the net current due to flow of charge emanating from a closed surface S is equal to the time rate of decrease of the charge within the volume V bounded by S

[tex]\oint_{s}J\cdot\,dS=-\frac{d}{dt}\oint_{V}\rho\*d\upsilon[/tex]

Can the time rate of increase of the charge in the cubical volume bounded by x,y,z planes be found?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? Of course this applies to any volume, so I don't understand what exactly you're asking.

when J = -2xi [A/m^2] I have to find the time rate in increase of charge in cubical volume bounded by planes x=0,x=2,y=0,y=2,z=0,z=2. I would like get hint to do this problem. Thanks

Last edited:
Current only passes through the x=0 and x=2 planes, so integrate over these. First find dS, the vector passing out perpendicular to the box with length dA, and the dot this with the current density, and integrate over each surface.

So I will have?

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\oint_{V}\rho\*d\upsilon = -\oint_{S} -2x \cdot 12xdydz\vec{i}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}= -\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{2} -2x\vec i\cdot 12xdydz\vec{i}=96x^{2}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Last edited:
robert,

Your equation says a scalar equals a vector. Is that possible?

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}= -\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{2} -2x\vec i\cdot 12xdydz\vec{i}=96x^{2}[/tex]

I have solved more difficult problems but I cannot do this one. I'm confused from the beginnig.

Last edited:
Where did that 12x come from? If you drop that and do the integral again, you will get the charging flow in the positive x direction over a 2X2 sheet in a plane parrellel to the x=0 plane. You want to find the total current leaving the box, so you need subtract the current going in at x=0 from the current leaving at x=2.

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}= -\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{2} -2x\vec i\cdot dydz\vec{i}=8x[/tex]

So at x=2 current would be 16x?

robert said: "I have solved more difficult problems..."

I'm sure you have, because this one is VERY easy; you're making a lot harder than it really is.

In what direction is the current density?

Now define a vector that points out of the cube and in the direction that's perpendicular to the cube face that's at x=0.

What direction is that vector pointing?

If you did this for the other five faces (call them x=2, y=0, y=2...) what direction will each of your vectors be pointing?

the current density is negative x direction
The vector j points out of the cube and it is in the -y direction

robert,

I have to apologize here. I missed what you said in your post #9. I saw your answer, 16x and thought you were pretty confused. But really you were very close. On the line above (where your integral is) you get dQ/dt = 8x. But then you evaluated that at x=2 and said that it was 16x?

8x evaluated at x=2 isn't 16x. What is it?

Related to Evaluating the rate of increase of charge at x=2 yields a value of 16.

1. What is the conservation of charge?

The conservation of charge is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total electric charge in a closed system remains constant. In other words, charge cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or redistributed.

2. Why is the conservation of charge important?

The conservation of charge is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that helps us understand and predict the behavior of electrical systems. It also allows us to understand the effects of electric currents, charges, and fields on matter.

3. How does the conservation of charge apply to everyday life?

The conservation of charge applies to everyday life in many ways, such as in the functioning of electronic devices, the flow of electricity in power grids, and the behavior of lightning. It also plays a role in chemical reactions and the formation of atoms and molecules.

4. Can the conservation of charge be violated?

No, the conservation of charge is a fundamental law of nature and has been observed to hold true in all known cases. Any apparent violations are due to incomplete understanding of the system or experimental error.

5. How is the conservation of charge related to other laws of nature?

The conservation of charge is closely related to other fundamental laws of physics, such as the laws of energy conservation and momentum conservation. In fact, all of these laws are interconnected and depend on each other to accurately describe the behavior of the physical world.