1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consider the following processes: I. Energy flows as heat...

1. Nov 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following processes: I. Energy flows as heat from a hot object to a colder object II. Work is done on a system and an equivalent amount of energy is rejected as heat by the system III. Energy is absorbed as heat by a system and an equivalent amount of work is done by the system .Which are never found to occur?
    A. Only I
    B. Only II
    C. Only III
    D. Only II and III
    E. I, II, and III
    ans: C
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Why its C??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2016 #2
    It is wrong. That's why.

4. Nov 4, 2016 #3
    I mean why it is wrong?

5. Nov 4, 2016 #4
    This is the same thing as an isothermal expansion, which you can always do. What they erroneously neglected to consider is this can never be done for a system operating in a cycle using a single (isothermal) reservoir.

6. Nov 4, 2016 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It looks like whoever wrote the question is using the word system to mean heat engine. Try calculating the efficiency of the described engine.

7. Nov 4, 2016 #6
    Another requirement is that there be only one reservoir to supply heat (and no reservoir to remove heat). This is basically the Kelvin statement of the 2nd law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted