1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant acceleration problem involving NASA exploration vehicle.

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    1. In Jan. 2004, NASA landed exploration vehicles on Mars. Part of the descent consisted of the following stages:?
    Stage A: Friction with the atmosphere reduced the speed from 19300 km/h to 1600 km/h in 4.0 min.
    Stage B: A parachute then opened to slow it down to 321 km/h in 94 s.
    Stage C: Retro rockets then fired to reduce its speed to zero over a distance of 75 m.
    Assume that each stage followed immediately after the preceding one and that the acceleration during each stage was constant.

1.Find the rocket's acceleration (in m/s^2 ) during stage C.

2.What total distance (in m} did the rocket travel during stage A?

3.What total distance (in km) did the rocket travel during stage C?

V1= V0 + a1T
    x-x0= V0T + 1/2a1T6
    (V1)^2- (V0)^2 = 2a1(T^2)(x-x0)
    a1= acceleration T=time Vo=initial velocity x,x0= position, initial position

The last question isnt that just 75 m converted to KM? I put that in and I got the answer wrong. Also for #1 I got -0.05 and I got that wrong too. And for #2 I got 356m and got that wrong too. I used the above equations to get all of these answers. What am i doing wrong? Please Help. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

Hi fuhgidabowdit,

Looking at #1, how did you get -0.05 (and what numbers did you use to get it)?
  4. Jan 11, 2009 #3
    hey thanks for replying. I figured out what I was doing wrong. It was just some stupid algebraic mistakes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?