What is the final velocity of a car with constant acceleration?

In summary, the problem involves a speeding car with an initial velocity of 1 m/s and a constant acceleration of 2 m/s^2. The question asks for the car's speed at 12 seconds when the stopwatch reads 10 seconds. The attempt at a solution uses an incorrect equation to find the distance instead of the final velocity. To find the final velocity, an equation with only time, initial velocity, and acceleration is needed. To better understand the equations, it is recommended to write down each equation and its variables.
subopolois

Homework Statement

A speeding car has instantenous velocity of 1 m/s when a stopwatch reads 10 seconds. It has constant acceleration of 2 m/s^2.
What is the cars speed when it reaches the stopwatch reads 12 seconds.

Homework Equations

x= (Vinitial)(DeltaT) + 1/2(a09deltaT)^2
I think this is the right equation for constant acceleration...

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.0m/s)(2seconds) + 1/2(2m/s/s)(2)^2
2 + 4
= 6 m/s

This is a problem in my textbook, and the answer they give is 5 m/s. Am i using the wron equation? Or what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are using an equation to find a distance 'x', but you need a velocity.

Always check your units, e.g.:

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.0m/s)(2seconds) + 1/2(2m/s/s)(2)^2
2 + 4
= 6 m/s

Should be
(1 m/s)(2 seconds) + 1/2(2 m/s/s)(2 s)^2
2 m + 4 m
= 6 mThat's the distance traveled between 10 and 12 seconds, not what you are looking for... You need a different equation.

I'm stumped. Is it one of those other constant acceleration equations? Whenever I look at them, it always seems like I'm not looking at the right one because it has more variables than what I'm given in the question

subopolois said:
I'm stumped. Is it one of those other constant acceleration equations? Whenever I look at them, it always seems like I'm not looking at the right one because it has more variables than what I'm given in the question
Look at the problem statement.

You are given a time, an initial velocity, and an acceleration. You are asked to find the final velocity. Is there an equation which contains only those quantities?

==========================================================================================

To learn what the constant acceleration equations mean, you should write down each equation and write under it a list of each variable in that equation and what each variable stands for. You're not learning anything with your current approach, except how to guess (badly, unfortunately).

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes by the same amount in each unit of time. This means that the object is moving at a constant speed, but its speed is increasing or decreasing at a steady rate.

2. How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration is calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. This formula can also be written as a = Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform acceleration?

Constant acceleration refers to an object's velocity changing at a steady rate, while uniform acceleration refers to an object's velocity changing by the same amount in each unit of time. In other words, uniform acceleration means the object's acceleration remains constant, while constant acceleration means the object's acceleration is changing at a constant rate.

4. What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration?

One real-life example of constant acceleration is an object falling due to gravity. The object's velocity increases at a constant rate as it falls towards the ground. Another example is a car accelerating from a complete stop, where the velocity increases at a constant rate until it reaches a certain speed.

5. How does air resistance affect constant acceleration?

Air resistance can affect constant acceleration by slowing down an object's velocity. This means that the object's acceleration may not be constant due to the opposing force of air resistance. For example, a skydiver will experience a decrease in acceleration as they approach terminal velocity due to the increasing force of air resistance.