1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant horizontal force and friction

1. Jan 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 50 kg is pushed across a floor by a constant horizontal force of 200 N. What is the force of friction?

2. Relevant equations
    Ffr = coeff*Fn

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to find it as I don't know the coefficient.
    The answer says the answer is 200 N, but I don't know why it's equal to the applied force. The problem didn't say it was being moved at a constant velocity, it only has a constant applied force.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Check the problem statement for any other information. You feel it's incomplete as it stands, and it is incomplete as it stands.

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3
    Is the problem written correctly and completely or is there some missing parts !!??

5. Jan 2, 2015 #4
    That's all that was given. I guess whoever wrote the problem wrote it incompletely.

6. Jan 2, 2015 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Solve it for the coefficient of friction necessary for constant velocity, and include an explanation that you're making an assumption based on the given answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted