Constraint Equation of a rolling of cylinder

In summary, the conversation is about a cylinder of radius 'r' rolling inside another cylinder of radius 'R' without slipping. The constraint equation for this scenario is given as rθ = (R-r)φ, where θ is the angle of rotation of the smaller cylinder and φ is the angle subtended at the center of the larger cylinder. The person is confused and suggests that the equation should be rθ = Rφ, but the other person corrects them by giving an example where R = 4 and r = 1. The conversation ends with a request to try the example and see how many times the smaller cylinder rotates to circumscribe the inside of the larger cylinder once.
Molar
I was going through this example from by book, where a cylinder of radius 'r' is rolling inside of another cylinder of radius 'R' without slipping.It says the constraint equation should be
rθ = (R-r)φ
where θ = angle of rotation of cylinder of radius 'r'
φ = angle subtended at the centre of the cylinder of radius 'R'

I am not getting this. Shouldn't it be rθ = Rφ ...? To me it looks like if we deduct 'r' from 'R' then
will be greater than (R-r)φ . Please correct me.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Molar said:
I was going through this example from by book, where a cylinder of radius 'r' is rolling inside of another cylinder of radius 'R' without slipping.It says the constraint equation should be
rθ = (R-r)φ
where θ = angle of rotation of cylinder of radius 'r'
φ = angle subtended at the centre of the cylinder of radius 'R'

I am not getting this. Shouldn't it be rθ = Rφ ...? To me it looks like if we deduct 'r' from 'R' then
will be greater than (R-r)φ . Please correct me.
Thanks.

Try an example where ##R = 4## and ##r = 1##

How many times does the smaller cylinder rotate to circumscribe the inside of the larger cylinder once?

1. What is the constraint equation of a rolling cylinder?

The constraint equation of a rolling cylinder is a mathematical equation that relates the position, velocity, and acceleration of the cylinder as it moves without slipping along a surface. It is derived from the kinematic and dynamic equations of motion.

2. Why is the constraint equation important?

The constraint equation is important because it allows us to accurately model the motion of a rolling cylinder, which has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and robotics.

3. How is the constraint equation derived?

The constraint equation is derived by analyzing the geometry and forces acting on a rolling cylinder. By considering the constraints of the cylinder's motion, such as no slipping and constant radius, we can derive the mathematical relationship between its position, velocity, and acceleration.

4. What are the assumptions made in the constraint equation?

The constraint equation assumes that the cylinder is rolling without slipping, meaning that the linear velocity of the cylinder at the point of contact with the surface is equal to the product of its angular velocity and radius. It also assumes that the cylinder's radius remains constant during its motion.

5. Can the constraint equation be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the constraint equation can be applied to other shapes, such as spheres or cones, as long as they are rolling without slipping. However, the specific form of the equation may differ depending on the geometry of the shape.