Constraint Equation of a rolling of cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Molar
Messages
45
Reaction score
19
I was going through this example from by book, where a cylinder of radius 'r' is rolling inside of another cylinder of radius 'R' without slipping.It says the constraint equation should be
rθ = (R-r)φ
where θ = angle of rotation of cylinder of radius 'r'
φ = angle subtended at the centre of the cylinder of radius 'R'

I am not getting this. Shouldn't it be rθ = Rφ ...? To me it looks like if we deduct 'r' from 'R' then
rθ will be greater than (R-r)φ . Please correct me.
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Molar said:
I was going through this example from by book, where a cylinder of radius 'r' is rolling inside of another cylinder of radius 'R' without slipping.It says the constraint equation should be
rθ = (R-r)φ
where θ = angle of rotation of cylinder of radius 'r'
φ = angle subtended at the centre of the cylinder of radius 'R'

I am not getting this. Shouldn't it be rθ = Rφ ...? To me it looks like if we deduct 'r' from 'R' then
rθ will be greater than (R-r)φ . Please correct me.
Thanks.

Try an example where ##R = 4## and ##r = 1##

How many times does the smaller cylinder rotate to circumscribe the inside of the larger cylinder once?