Converting partial derivatives between coordinate frames

In summary, the Cartesian coordinates are (x,y), and the polar coordinates are (r,phi). The goal is to find the equation for the dphi/dx in terms of the x, y, and dy/dx. In the first place, the x and y coordinates are not independent, and the result of the calculation doesn't always follow the rule that y = y(x). However, by using the chain rule, the equation for dphi/dx can be found.
blalien

Homework Statement

Given Cartesian coordinates x, y, and polar coordinates r, phi, such that
[tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}, \phi = atan(x/y)[/tex] or
[tex]x=r sin(\phi), y=r cos(\phi)[/tex]
(yes, phi is defined differently then you're used to)
I need to find [tex]\frac{d\phi}{dr}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Homework Equations

All given in part 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to compute [tex]\frac{d \phi}{d r}[/tex] directly and ended up with this:
[tex]\frac{d \phi}{d r} = \frac{d \phi}{d x} \frac{d x}{d r} + \frac{d \phi}{d y} \frac{d y}{d r}
= \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} sin{\phi} - \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} cos{\phi}\\
= \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} - \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\\
= 0[/tex]
Obviously this isn't correct, so I must be going about this the wrong way.

Physics news on Phys.org
phi and r are independent, it's not surprising that you get 0.

Sorry, I should clarify. We assume a function [tex]\phi (r)[/tex] exists, but we're not given its definition.

Then
[tex]
\phi(r) = atan(x/y)
[/tex]
generally won't be true, your calculation about dphi/dx is wrong.

So what should I do? I don't even have a guarantee that there is a general solution, so this could be a wild goose chase.

Could you post the whole question, I'm not really sure about what you want.

This isn't a homework question out of a textbook. But here's what I'm looking for:
Given variables phi, r, x, y such that
x = r sin(phi), y = r cos(phi)
and a function phi(r)
I need to find dphi/dr in terms of x, y, and dy/dx.

Now I kinda understand your problem. So in the first place your x and y is not independent, instead, it's y=y(x) instead.
blalien said:
[

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to compute [tex]\frac{d \phi}{d r}[/tex] directly and ended up with this:
[tex]\frac{d \phi}{d r} = \frac{d \phi}{d x} \frac{d x}{d r} + \frac{d \phi}{d y} \frac{d y}{d r}
= \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} sin{\phi} - \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} cos{\phi}\\
= \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} - \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\\
= 0[/tex]
Here you are using chain rule under partial differentiation, but when x,y are not independent, this won't be valid.

You can try this approach:
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
dx = \sin \phi dr + r\cos \phi d\phi \\
dy = \cos \phi dr - r\sin \phi d\phi \\
\end{array}[/tex]
Now view dr, dphi as unknowns you'll be able so solve dr, dphi in terms dx, dy. Then you'll know what to do next

But if I understand your question correctly, then actually your title would be inappropriate, because you're not converting partial derivatives

Yeah, it might be. But your method works. Thank you so much for your help. You always overlook the simple solutions, right?

It turns out the answer is:
[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dr}=\frac{y-x y'}{(x+y' y)\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]

I also need to find [tex]\frac{d^2\phi}{d r^2}[/tex], but I think you just need to apply the chain rule to the result above.

Related to Converting partial derivatives between coordinate frames

1. What is a coordinate frame?

A coordinate frame is a set of reference axes used to describe the position and orientation of objects in space. It provides a standardized way of measuring and locating points, lines, and shapes.

2. Why do we need to convert partial derivatives between coordinate frames?

Converting partial derivatives between coordinate frames is necessary when working with objects or systems that have different coordinate frames. It allows us to accurately describe the relationship between the variables and understand their behavior in different frames.

3. How do you convert partial derivatives from one coordinate frame to another?

To convert partial derivatives between coordinate frames, we use the chain rule from calculus. This involves taking the partial derivatives with respect to each variable in the original frame and then multiplying them by the corresponding transformation matrix elements.

4. What are some common applications of converting partial derivatives between coordinate frames?

Converting partial derivatives between coordinate frames is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is particularly useful for analyzing the movement of objects in 3D space, designing robotic systems, and developing computer vision algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in converting partial derivatives between coordinate frames?

One limitation is that the transformation matrix used to convert partial derivatives may not be valid for all points in the coordinate frames. This can lead to errors in calculations. Additionally, the process can become more complex and time-consuming for systems with multiple coordinate frames.