How Do Coordinate Frames Influence Equations in Wind Generator Dynamics?

F_D frame of reference:\vec d_1 = \vec a_1 \cos \theta + \vec a_2 \sin \theta\vec d_2 = -\vec a_1 \sin \theta + \vec a_2 \cos \theta\vec d_3 = \vec a_3In summary, you are trying to find the equations for the different coordinate systems involved in your problem. These include the inertial frame F_A, the frame of reference F_B attached to
chicomore

Homework Statement

This is a basic question to a kind of complex problem, any help will be deeply appreciatted. I have all the motion equations for the system described below, but i have a problem with the reference frames...

So the problem is as follows:
A small wind generator is protected against high speed winds by autofurling mechanism that depends on the equilibrium of torques between the tail and the moment of inertia generated by wind when it hits the rotor:

the diagrams

Picture1-1.png

Picture2-1.png

Picture3.png

THE COORDINATE FRAMES

1. inertial frame [itex]F_A=(\vec a_1, \vec a_2,\vec a_3)[/itex] point in the average direction of the wind.

2 [itex]F_b[/itex] frame of reference attached to nacelle before tilting

[itex]\vec b_1 = \vec a_1 \cos \theta +\vec a_2 \sin \theta[/itex]

[itex]\vec b_2 = - \vec a_1 \sin \theta +\vec a_2 \cos \theta[/itex]

[itex]\vec b_3 = \vec a_3[/itex] vertical upward

3 [itex]F_C=(\vec c_1,\vec c_2,\vec c_3)[/itex] after tilting

4 [itex]F_D = (\vec d_1, d2,d3)[/itex] aligned with the tail hinge

Homework Equations

What are the equations for the different the different coordinate systems?? i have the equations for the coordinate system Fb, but when i derived them following the diagrams i got different relations, are the equations given to me wrong or what I'm doing is wrong?

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the coordinate system [itex]F_B[/itex], according to the diagrams i get that:

[itex]\vec b_1 =\vec a_1 \sin \theta - \vec a_2 \cos \theta [/itex]
[itex]\vec b_2 =\vec a_1 \cos \theta + \vec a_2 \sin \theta [/itex]
[itex]\vec b_3 = \vec a_3[/itex]

since i don't get the same result for reference frame b, I'm prety doubtful of what i get in c and d.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem and the diagrams. It seems like you are trying to understand the reference frames and their equations for a small wind generator protected by an autofurling mechanism. From the diagrams, it looks like there are four different frames of reference involved: F_A, F_B, F_C, and F_D.

The first frame, F_A, is the inertial frame and it is defined by three unit vectors \vec a_1, \vec a_2, and \vec a_3. These vectors point in the average direction of the wind, which is the direction of the wind at a particular location and time. This frame is used to describe the motion of the wind itself.

The second frame, F_B, is attached to the nacelle before tilting. It is defined by three unit vectors \vec b_1, \vec b_2, and \vec b_3. From the diagrams, it looks like this frame is rotated by an angle \theta with respect to the inertial frame \vec a_1 and \vec a_2. This means that the equations for this frame will have trigonometric functions of \theta.

The third frame, F_C, is defined by three unit vectors \vec c_1, \vec c_2, and \vec c_3. This frame is after tilting, so it is rotated by an angle \phi with respect to the frame F_B. The equations for this frame will also have trigonometric functions of \phi.

Finally, the fourth frame, F_D, is defined by three unit vectors \vec d_1, \vec d_2, and \vec d_3. This frame is aligned with the tail hinge, so it will have its own set of equations.

Now, to answer your question about the equations for the different coordinate systems, here is my attempt at a solution:

1. F_B frame of reference:
\vec b_1 = \vec a_1 \cos \theta + \vec a_2 \sin \theta
\vec b_2 = -\vec a_1 \sin \theta + \vec a_2 \cos \theta
\vec b_3 = \vec a_3 vertical upward

2. F_C frame of reference:
\vec c_1 = \vec b_1 \cos \phi + \vec b_3 \sin \phi

What is a coordinate frame?

A coordinate frame is a set of reference axes used to describe the position and orientation of objects in a specific space. It is often represented by three mutually perpendicular axes, such as the X, Y, and Z axes in three-dimensional space.

What are the different types of coordinate frames?

The two main types of coordinate frames are the global frame and the local frame. The global frame is fixed and does not change, while the local frame is relative to a specific object and can change depending on its position and orientation. Other types of coordinate frames include spherical, cylindrical, and polar frames.

Why is understanding coordinate frames important?

Coordinate frames are essential in scientific research and engineering applications as they provide a common reference system for describing the position and orientation of objects. They allow for accurate measurements and calculations, and are used in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and navigation.

What are some common difficulties with coordinate frames?

One common difficulty with coordinate frames is understanding the relationships between different frames and converting between them. Another challenge is dealing with non-orthogonal frames, where the axes are not perpendicular to each other.

How can I improve my understanding of coordinate frames?

To improve your understanding of coordinate frames, it is helpful to practice visualizing and manipulating them in different scenarios. You can also study the mathematical principles behind coordinate frames and how they are used in various applications. Additionally, seeking guidance from experts in the field or taking online courses can also aid in improving your understanding.