Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Copying data

1. Aug 30, 2009 #1

drizzle

Gold Member

does anyone know how to copy data from Notepad file [Text Document] into Excel? the data I need to copy is two columns of numbers, but when I copy-paste them they appear as one column, I just couldn’t manage to separate them [they are about 40 pages long:cry:]. anyone have any suggestion, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2009 #2
    in Excel, go to Data->Import External Data->Import Data and select the text file. You can then choose delimmeters or spacing to import columns from the text file.

4. Aug 30, 2009 #3

drizzle

Gold Member

cheers, that'll save a LOT of time :biggrin:

5. Mar 20, 2011 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

Does anyone know how to extract data from a pdf file into an excel file? :biggrin:

There're limited choices of files where one can import data from, any idea anyone? Thanks in advance.

6. Mar 20, 2011 #5

JaredJames

Gold Member

There are a bunch of ways, your best bet is to download Nitro PDF pro trial (14 days) and that has a built in function to extract a PDF to Excel (or Word).

Aside from that you've only got other OCR software.

Both these methods work best when it is not a scanned PDF document.

7. Mar 22, 2011 #6

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

If the document isn't a scanned PDF, you can copy and paste the data into Notepad, where you'll probably need to do some formatting.

8. Mar 23, 2011 #7

drizzle

Gold Member

Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook