Coriolis effect and water experiment

In summary: The Coriolis effect is a real physical phenomenon that occurs when the velocity of an object is relative to the rotating frame of reference. It can cause some pretty dramatic effects in experiments, depending on the direction of the relative velocity vector.
Rzbs
Is the Uganda water experiment (that shows corilios effect on water drain) a scientific experiment or not?
I searched but I couldn't find a final answer to this question. There are two opposite opinions, which one is correct?
Or this argument is an open issue yet?
Thanks for your replies...

Physics news on Phys.org
Rzbs said:
Summary:: Is the Uganda water experiment a scientific experiment or not?

Is the Uganda water experiment (that shows corilios effect on water drain) a scientific experiment or not?
I searched but I couldn't find a final answer to this question. There are two opposite opinions, which one is correct?
Or this argument is an open issue yet?
Thanks for your replies...
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/travel-myths-backwards-water/

Likes Lord Jestocost and Rzbs
And, this (see the Shapiro experiment):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force#Draining_in_bathtubs_and_toilets

The other problem with the equator experiment is that the Coriolis force is not like a digital switch. It will be approximately zero near the equator. There would be no measurable effect on any experiment within a few metres of the equator.

Likes Rzbs
Thanks, so the Uganda water experiment is only a trick and a show for absorbing tourists, yes?

Rzbs said:
Thanks, so the Uganda water experiment is only a trick and a show for absorbing tourists, yes?
I guess so!

On th back of an envelope: the Coriolis effect is maximum at the poles, zero at the equator. So take the sine of the longitude (=sin(44,9... degrees) of the amazed tourists, and multiply this with the ratio of the angular velocity w of the water (w=O(1)) turning w.r.t. the Earth's rotation (w=2pi/86400).

I'd guess that's one heck of a small number.

Likes FactChecker and Rzbs
During the world year of physics in 2005 I was assisting at a Foucault's pendulum hanging at our city's church, where Shell held a conference one day. An engineer told me he witnessed the Coriolis effect at the equator. I tried to convinced him he was scammed. He was reluctant.

That was the moment I started to doubt whether it would be a good idea to let Shell search for and suck up oil near the North Pole.

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur, FactChecker and etotheipi
haushofer said:
Shell
They paid dowsers to locate buried drainage tiles (so they would not be damaged by exploration activities).

There are Coriolis effects any time the angular rotation vector and the relative velocity vector relative to the rotating reference frame has a non-zero cross product. That can happen anywhere on earth. The position is not in the equation. It just may not be very apparent at the equator in certain experiments. It depends on the direction of the relative velocity vector.

Last edited:

1. What is the Coriolis effect?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon that causes objects, such as air or water, to appear to curve when moving across the surface of the Earth. This is due to the Earth's rotation and its influence on the direction of moving objects.

2. How does the Coriolis effect impact water?

The Coriolis effect can impact the direction of water currents and the formation of oceanic gyres. In the Northern Hemisphere, water will appear to curve to the right, while in the Southern Hemisphere, it will appear to curve to the left.

3. How can the Coriolis effect be demonstrated through an experiment?

One way to demonstrate the Coriolis effect is by using a rotating table with a shallow layer of water on top. By spinning the table and observing the movement of the water, the Coriolis effect can be seen as the water appears to curve in a circular motion.

4. Is the Coriolis effect the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the Coriolis effect is dependent on the latitude of the location. The effect is strongest at the poles and decreases towards the equator.

5. How does the Coriolis effect impact weather patterns?

The Coriolis effect plays a significant role in the formation of global wind patterns and the development of cyclones and hurricanes. It can also influence the direction and speed of storms and weather systems.