1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law Problem and charged particles

1. Jan 20, 2005 #1
    I cannot figure out this problem. I mean, I can't really even figure out what it is asking. I am not expecting anyone to solve it for me or anything. I just need some help as to how to get started.

Particles A and B Figure 22-25a shows charged particles A and B that are fixed in place on an x axis. Particle A has an amount of charge of |qA| = 9.00e. Particle C, with a charge of qC = +9.00e, is initially on the x axis near particle B. Then particle C is gradually moved in the positive direction of the x axis. As a result, the magnitude of the net electrostatic force net, B on particle B due to particles A and C changes. Figure 22-25b gives the x-component of that net force as a function of the position x of particle C. The plot has an asymptote of net, B = 1.553 10-25 N as x . As a multiple of e, what is the charge qB of particle B?

Figure 22-25a is basically a plot of three points, with point (a) on the negative x axis, point (b) at the origin, and point (c) on the positive x axis. Then there is also a graph of Fnet-->b. I don't know if you can figure out the problem without the graph, but any help on how to do it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks,
    Beverly

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try writing out the Coulomb force of C on B and A on B. The vector sum of those two forces will be the net force. F should be a function in the form:

[tex]F = kq_b(q_a/A^2 + q_c/x^2)[/tex]

Now the first issue is: is q_a negative or positive? Then determine if q_b is positive or negative.

I can't figure out from your information what the graph looks like. You should be able to figure the kind of charge for q_a and q_b from just looking at the direction of F(x). If the F(x)<0 as x approaches 0 then q_b would be negative. If it is greater than 0, q_b would be positive.

I can't tell from your description what the equation of the asymptote is. Can you provide it?

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?