Coulomb's law problem solving

In summary, three objects with charges of -4x10^-6 C, -6x10^-6 C, and +9x10^-6 C are placed in a line equally spaced from left to right by a distance of 0.5m. The magnitude and direction of the net force acting on each object is 2.8N to the right, as the charges on B and C are opposite and attract each other. The book's answer of 1.08N to the left is incorrect.
anna sung

Homework Statement

three objects carrying charges of (a)-4x10^-6 C, (B)-6x10^-6 C, and (c)+9x10^-6 C are placed in a line equally spaced from left to right by a distance of 0.5m. calculate the magnitude and direction of the net force acting on each.

Homework Equations

Force of the magnitude of B(-6x10^-6 C) the answer is 1.08N left
but I am getting 2.8N right

The Attempt at a Solution

Fba= 0.864 N (right)
Fbc = 1.944 N (right)

fnet = 0.864N (right) + 1.944N (right)
= 2.8N right

i don't understand how the book got 1.944N (left) because that's what gives 1.08(left)

B is negative and C is positive so shouldn't B be attracted to C which is to the right?
please help me .

Physics news on Phys.org
anna sung said:

Homework Statement

three objects carrying charges of (a)-4x10^-6 C, (B)-6x10^-6 C, and (c)+9x10^-6 C are placed in a line equally spaced from left to right by a distance of 0.5m. calculate the magnitude and direction of the net force acting on each.

Homework Equations

Force of the magnitude of B(-6x10^-6 C) the answer is 1.08N left
but I am getting 2.8N right

The Attempt at a Solution

Fba= 0.864 N (right)
Fbc = 1.944 N (right)

fnet = 0.864N (right) + 1.944N (right)
= 2.8N right

i don't understand how the book got 1.944N (left) because that's what gives 1.08(left)

B is negative and C is positive so shouldn't B be attracted to C which is to the right?
please help me .

As you realize, the only way to get that is if the charge on C is the same sign as the charge on B.
Either you have mis-read, or they have mis-printed.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you solve Coulomb's Law problems?

To solve Coulomb's Law problems, you need to follow a few steps. First, identify the given parameters such as the charges of the particles and the distance between them. Then, use the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance. Plug in the values and calculate the force. Remember to use the correct units for charge (Coulombs) and distance (meters).

3. What is the unit of Coulomb's constant?

The unit of Coulomb's constant, k, is Nm^2/C^2, where N is Newtons, m is meters, and C is Coulombs. This unit is also known as the electric constant or the permittivity of free space.

4. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the force between them?

The force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. For example, if you double the distance between two particles, the force between them will decrease by a factor of four.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to point charges only?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can only be applied to point charges, which are particles with negligible size. This is because the formula assumes that the charges are concentrated at a single point and do not have any dimensions. If the charges have a size, the force between them will be different and cannot be calculated using Coulomb's Law.