Finding Force of Attraction b/w Be2+ & S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO

In summary, the conversation discusses using Coulomb's law to find the force of attraction between ions in different compounds. The radius of the ions is determined using the equation and the atomic radius of the Be ion. It is concluded that there is a stronger force of attraction in BeO compared to BeS, likely due to the smaller bond length and the higher electronegativity of O. The importance of atomic properties in determining Coulombic force is debated, with some suggesting atomic radius as the key factor.
Westlund2
I am doing a challenge problem. Can you tell me if I am correct in my reasoning, and help me out with what I am asking?
Thanks!

I used Coulomb's law to find the force of attraction between Be2+ and S2- in BeS and between Be2+ and O2- in BeO.

Radius(Be) = 59 pm
Radius(S) = 170 pm
Radius(O) = 140 pm

F(BeS) = -6.856x10^29 J/m
F(BeO) = -9.078x10^29 J/m

1. I was asked to find the radius of the ion, S. I looked it up to be 170, and it works in Coulomb's equation to get the F, but how do I determine the radius?

2. Is it correct that by this info, that there is a stronger force of attraction between BeO than between BeS?

3. If BeO does have the stronger force of attraction, it should line up with the other ways to determine attraction. The bond length between BeO is smaller than between BeS, which means it has a stronger attraction. Also, O is more electronegative than S, so it will have a stronger ability to attract Be, right? Which is the more important atomic property in determining Coulombic force?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're in chem 109 right? i think I'm in the same exact class :]

1: Anyway, so you just need to solve the coulomb's law equation for d and find the total distance between the nuclei. You know the atomic radius of the Be ion, so if you subtract that from d you should get the atomic radius of the S ion.

2: Definitely correct.

3: I'm not sure on this one, but I think that the atomic radius is far more important. I might be completely wrong on this. We'll see once my quiz is graded. Anyway, how I imagine this is that the S ion takes two electrons from the Be, so q1 and q2 are approximately 2 and -2. However Be, a positive ion, attracts those electrons back toward itself a little bit, so q1 is just a little tiny bit less than 2 and q2 is a little bit more than -2. Oxygen is more electronegative that sulfur, so q1 and q2 are closer to 2 and -2 in BeO than they are in BeS, for oxygen does a better job keeping its electrons from trying to scurry over toward the positively-charged Be atom.

1. What is the force of attraction between Be2+ and S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO?

The force of attraction between Be2+ and S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO is known as the ionic bond. Ionic bonds are formed between a positively charged ion (cation) and a negatively charged ion (anion). In this case, Be2+ is the cation and S2-/O2- is the anion. The strength of the ionic bond between these ions depends on the magnitude of their charges and the distance between them.

2. How is the force of attraction calculated between Be2+ and S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO?

The force of attraction, also known as the electrostatic force, is calculated using Coulomb's law. This law states that the force of attraction between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In the case of Be2+ and S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO, the force of attraction can be calculated by multiplying the charges of the ions and dividing by the square of the distance between them.

3. How does the force of attraction between Be2+ and S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO compare to other ionic compounds?

The force of attraction between Be2+ and S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO is relatively strong compared to other ionic compounds with similar ions. This is because Be2+ has a relatively high charge (+2) and is a small ion, which allows it to be closer to the S2-/O2- ions, resulting in a stronger force of attraction between them.

4. How does the force of attraction between Be2+ and S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO affect the properties of the compound?

The strong force of attraction between Be2+ and S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO results in a stable ionic compound with a high melting and boiling point. This is because a large amount of energy is required to break the strong electrostatic force holding the ions together. Additionally, BeS/BeO are both insoluble in water due to the strong force of attraction between the ions.

5. Can the force of attraction between Be2+ and S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO be changed?

The force of attraction between Be2+ and S2-/O2- in BeS/BeO can be changed by altering the charges of the ions or the distance between them. For example, if the charge of Be2+ is increased, the force of attraction will also increase. Similarly, if the distance between the ions is increased, the force of attraction will decrease. This can be achieved through processes such as chemical reactions or changes in temperature and pressure.