Covariant and Contravariant components in Oblique System

In summary, the covariant components of r' are a and b, as they are the perpendicular projections onto the basis vectors \hat{e'}_1 and \hat{e'}_2, respectively. The contravariant components, on the other hand, are x1' and x2', as they are the partial derivatives of the arbitrary position vector r with respect to the primed coordinate directions.
tylerscott

Homework Statement

9QuWu.png

In the oblique coordinate system K' defined in class the position vector r′ can be written as:
[itex]r'=a\hat{e'}_{1}+b\hat{e'}_{2}[/itex]

Are a and b the covariant (perpendicular) or contravariant (parallel) components of r′? Why? Give an explanation based on vectors’ properties and another based on tensors’ properties.

Homework Equations

[itex]\hat{e'}_1=\hat{e}_1[/itex]
[itex]\hat{e'}_2=e_1cos(\alpha )+e_2sin(\alpha )[/itex]

[itex]{x'}_{1\perp}={x}_1[/itex]
[itex]{x'}_{2\perp}=x_1cos(\alpha )+x_2sin(\alpha )[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My best effort is that a and b are the covariant components of r' since they are the perpendicular projects of r' onto the [itex]\hat{e'}_1[/itex] and [itex]\hat{e'}_2[/itex] basis vectors, so they're essentially equivalent to [itex]{x'}_{1\perp}[/itex] and [itex]{x'}_{2\perp}[/itex]. So I think this would be my vector solution for the problem, but I don't know exactly how to represent it. As for the an explanation based on the tensor's properties, I don't even know where to start...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you used the perpendicular projections onto the axes with the basis vectors given, would you recover the point [itex]r[/itex]? It doesn't look like that to me. You'd end up way out above and to the right.

Ah, I see. I have been struggling with this problem for the past couple days and think I have developed a rough proof:
a and b are contravariant components of r' since they both give the magnitude of the vectors that add to r'. We found that:
[itex]\hat{e'}_{1}=\hat{e}_{1}[/itex]
[itex]\hat{e'}_{2}=\hat{e}_{1}cos(\alpha)+\hat{e}_{2}sin(\alpha)[/itex]
And
[itex]x'_{1\parallel}=x_{1}-cot(\alpha)x_{2}[/itex]
[itex]x'_{2\parallel}=x_{2}csc(\alpha)[/itex]

Making the substitutions into [itex]r'=a\hat{e'}_{1}+b\hat{e'}_{2}[/itex]:
[itex]r'=(x_{1}-cot(\alpha)x_{2}) \hat{e}_{1}+(x_{2}csc({\alpha}))(\hat{e}_{1}cos( \alpha)+\hat{e}_{2}sin(\alpha))[/itex]
We get
[itex]r'={x}_{1}\hat{e}_{1}+{x}_{2}\hat{e}_{2}[/itex]

So I think this is good for the vector explanation. Any advice for the tensor representation?

Last edited:
Yeah, they should be contravariant components, but to be honest, when the question says "give an explanation based on the tensors' properties," I'm not even clear on which tensors are being talked about.

Maybe I'll have to present that to the professor. I thought that maybe she just wanted the same proof, but using Einstein notation for the matrices that make the transformation.

e1' and e2' are unit vectors along the coordinate directions of the primed coordinate system. e'1 is the partial derivative of the arbitrary position vector r with respect to x1' and e'2 is the partial derivative of the arbitrary position vector r with respect to x2', where I have used a more suggestive notation here for "parallel" x primes. Thus,

r = x1'e1' + x2'e2'

Therefore, a = x1' and b = x2'. These are the contravariant components.

1. What is the difference between covariant and contravariant components in an oblique system?

Covariant components are measured along the coordinate axes of a system, while contravariant components are measured perpendicular to these axes. In an oblique system, the axes are not orthogonal, so the covariant and contravariant components will be different.

2. How are covariant and contravariant components related in an oblique system?

In an oblique system, the relationship between covariant and contravariant components is defined by a transformation matrix. This matrix can be used to convert between the two sets of components.

3. Why are covariant and contravariant components important in scientific calculations?

Covariant and contravariant components are important because they allow us to express physical quantities in a way that is independent of the coordinate system used to measure them. This makes calculations and equations more general and applicable to different situations.

4. How do covariant and contravariant components relate to tensors?

Tensors are mathematical objects that represent the relationship between different coordinate systems. Covariant and contravariant components are used to define the components of tensors in a particular coordinate system, and the transformation matrix allows us to convert between different coordinate systems.

5. Can you give an example of how covariant and contravariant components are used in physics?

In physics, covariant and contravariant components are used to describe the components of vectors and tensors in different coordinate systems. For example, in general relativity, the equations that describe the curvature of spacetime are written using covariant and contravariant components to account for the non-orthogonal nature of space and time in the theory.