Create a Rolling Device Powered by Rubber Bands - Help Josh!

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics project that involves creating a rolling device powered by a rubber band. They are looking for ideas and tips to make a successful device that can achieve both speed and distance. One person suggests looking at balloon cars from a JPL contest for inspiration.
SMB20
Well i have been assigned a project in my physics class that is totally clueless to me so i have come to all you smart peoples to help me with it because I am like totally clueless of what to do...

I am to create a rolling device powered by (a) rubber band(s) (no engines, etc)

Guidelines...
-- The tin can has to be a coffee can or similar
-- The rolling device has to be powered by (a) rubber band(s)
-- To make the rolling device operate, you may adjust, wind, etc. the rubber band
-- You may use other material to help your rolling device operate

Anybody have any idea on how to make something good? When we test these in class, we will be looking for speed and distence.

Please help
Thanks
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah nice find man, thanks a lot!

I'll check that out right now :)

Related to Create a Rolling Device Powered by Rubber Bands - Help Josh!

1. How does the rubber band powered rolling device work?

The rubber band powered rolling device works through the principle of stored elastic energy. When the rubber bands are stretched, they store potential energy. As the rubber bands are released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which propels the device forward.

2. What materials are needed to create a rubber band powered rolling device?

The materials needed to create a rubber band powered rolling device include: thick rubber bands, a wooden or plastic base, a cardboard tube, a pencil or dowel, a small axle, and wheels. Additional materials such as hot glue, tape, and scissors may also be needed for assembly.

3. How can I make the rubber band powered rolling device go faster?

To make the rubber band powered rolling device go faster, you can use longer and thicker rubber bands, reduce friction by adding lubricant to the axles and wheels, and ensure that the wheels are properly aligned and balanced. You can also experiment with the design and weight distribution of the device to optimize its speed.

4. How can I make the rubber band powered rolling device turn?

To make the rubber band powered rolling device turn, you can add a steering mechanism such as a front wheel that can be turned using a pencil or dowel. Another option is to create a pivot point on the base of the device, allowing it to turn in different directions. You can also adjust the tension of the rubber bands on each side to control the direction of the device.

5. Can I use any type of rubber band for the rolling device?

It is recommended to use thick rubber bands that have a high elasticity for the rubber band powered rolling device. These types of rubber bands can store more potential energy, resulting in a more powerful and efficient device. Thinner or weaker rubber bands may not provide enough force to propel the device forward.