Cross Product Magnitude and Direction Calculation for Vector v and Vector B

• Thread starter togame
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross
In summary: See what you get here.In summary, the magnitude of \vec{v} \times \vec{B} is 20\sqrt{2} and the direction of the new vector is given by the cross product of \vec{v} and \vec{B}. This results in a vector with components (bf-ce, ce-af, ae-bd). The angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees, but to determine the angle of the new vector with respect to the x-axis, the cross product must be calculated.
togame

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude of [itex]\vec{v} \times \vec{B}[/itex] and the direction of the new vector.
[itex]\vec{v}=\left \langle 0,0,20 \right \rangle[/itex]
[itex]\vec{B}=\left \langle 1,1,0 \right \rangle[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]|\vec{v}|=\sqrt{0^2+0^2+20^2}=20[/itex]
[itex]|\vec{B}|=\sqrt{1^2+1^2+0^2}=\sqrt{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the magnitude as [itex]20\sqrt{2}[/itex] which I'm pretty sure is right. My main problem is the new angle.
For the angle I have [itex]sin\theta=\frac{|\vec{v} \times \vec{B}}{|\vec{v}||\vec{B}|}=\frac{20\sqrt{2}}{20\sqrt{2}}[/itex]
So the angle should be [itex]sin^{-1}(\frac{20\sqrt{2}}{20\sqrt{2}})[/itex]
But the angle listed as the answer is 135 degrees.
Solving backwards, [itex]|\vec{v}||\vec{B}|[/itex] would need to be 40 and I can't see where this comes from. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
togame said:

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude of [itex]\vec{v} \times \vec{B}[/itex] and the direction of the new vector.
[itex]\vec{v}=\left \langle 0,0,20 \right \rangle[/itex]
[itex]\vec{B}=\left \langle 1,1,0 \right \rangle[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]|\vec{v}|=\sqrt{0^2+0^2+20^2}=20[/itex]
[itex]|\vec{B}|=\sqrt{1^2+1^2+0^2}=\sqrt{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the magnitude as [itex]20\sqrt{2}[/itex] which I'm pretty sure is right. My main problem is the new angle.
For the angle I have [itex]sin\theta=\frac{|\vec{v} \times \vec{B}}{|\vec{v}||\vec{B}|}=\frac{20\sqrt{2}}{20\sqrt{2}}[/itex]
So the angle should be [itex]sin^{-1}(\frac{20\sqrt{2}}{20\sqrt{2}})[/itex]
But the angle listed as the answer is 135 degrees.
Solving backwards, [itex]|\vec{v}||\vec{B}|[/itex] would need to be 40 and I can't see where this comes from. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Yes, the magnitude is [itex]20\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Though I'm not really sure how you got that. But what angle are you looking for? The angle you are computing is the angle between the two vectors which is 90 degrees. I think they are looking for the angle the new vector makes with respect to the x-axis. To answer I think you need to actually calculate the vector ##\vec{v} \times \vec{B}##.

The direction of a vector in three dimensions cannot be given by a single angle.

Is "[itex]|u x v|= |u||v|sin(\theta)[/itex]" and "u x v is perpendicular to both u and v by the right hand rule" the only way you have to find u x v? If u= ai+ bj+ ck and v= di+ ej+ fk then u x v= (bf- ce)i+ (ce- af)j+ (ae- bd)k is often simpler to use.

Related to Cross Product Magnitude and Direction Calculation for Vector v and Vector B

What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is also known as a vector product or outer product.

How is a cross product calculated?

The cross product of two vectors, A and B, is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix that consists of the unit vectors i, j, and k, and the components of A and B. The resulting vector is given by (A x B) = (yAzB - zAyB)i + (zAxB - xAzB)j + (xAyB - yAxB)k.

What are some applications of cross products?

Cross products have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and angular momentum. They are also used in vector calculus and 3D geometry to solve problems involving surfaces and volumes.

What are the properties of cross products?

Some important properties of cross products include: the magnitude of the resulting vector is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the original vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them, the direction of the resulting vector is perpendicular to the plane formed by the original vectors, and the cross product is anti-commutative, meaning that A x B = -B x A.

Can cross products be applied to non-numeric vectors?

Yes, cross products can be applied to non-numeric vectors such as symbolic vectors in mathematics or vectors representing physical quantities. However, the resulting vector may not have a physical interpretation in these cases.