CS courses for a Physics major

In summary, a physics major wants to supplement their degree with computer science courses to increase their employability. They have taken Python and C and plan to take C++ with Unix next semester, leaving room for two more elective courses. They ask for opinions on which courses to take from a limited list available to non-CS majors. Suggestions include data structures and numerical methods, with caution about the varying difficulty of courses and the importance of hands-on experience. The conversation also delves into the potential of courses such as distributed systems, computation finance, MIS, and logic for computer science. Detailed descriptions of the listed courses can be found on the university's website. Ultimately, it is suggested that the individual take data structures and numerical methods.

CS courses for a Physics Major?

• Data Structures

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Logic for Computer Science

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Computer Architecture

• Numerical Methods

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Management Information Systems

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Computational Finance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Software Engineering

• Distributed Systems

• Total voters
wj2cho
Hello PF :)

I am a physics-major-wannabe who wishes to increase his employability by supplementing my degree with computer science courses. I have already taken Python and C and will most likely take C++ with Unix next semester. I have a room for two more elective courses, but as a non-CS major, I can only access limited number of courses which are list in the poll. I would appreciate your opinions in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say increase your employability, do you mean open up the possibility to a wider range of non-physics-related jobs, or have a better chance at a physics-related job?

pascal12 said:
When you say increase your employability, do you mean open up the possibility to a wider range of non-physics-related jobs, or have a better chance at a physics-related job?

I meant the former. Thanks for bringing this up.

Data Structures
Numerical Methods
and Algorithms (which is not in your list)

Have the potential to be great courses, but courses very greatly. Keep in mind that programing courses are neither necessary or sufficient to developing useful skills. Try to get on a physics project with some programming for some practical experience.

There's no description of those courses, or their prerequisites. For example, if the computation finance course has data structures and numerical methods as prerequisites, you might get a hint of the hairy mathematical techniques needed to be a quant. If it doesn't, you're going to learn spread sheets and accounting.

If you can choose but one, it's a tossup between data structures and numerical methods. If you can take two, those are the two I would recommend. After that, it gets a bit murky. Computer architecture and software engineering are both worthy topics. As for the rest, you didn't give enough information about the courses or about yourself.

Distributed systems -- Without a synopsis, this could be anything between a trade school level class on how to use middleware to a very hard but worthy class on how to use threads, multiple processes, and multiple processors. MIS? My opinion only, but you don't want to go there. Logic for computer science? Without a synopsis I can't even hazard a guess what that course would be about. Surely it's not a semester long course on Boolean algebra. If it is, you don't want to go there. If it's about NAND gates, NOR gates, flip flops, adders, and ALUs: That's a very worthy topic, but only if you want to major in digital electronics and work for a chip maker.

lurflurf said:
Data Structures
Numerical Methods
and Algorithms (which is not in your list)

Have the potential to be great courses, but courses very greatly. Keep in mind that programing courses are neither necessary or sufficient to developing useful skills. Try to get on a physics project with some programming for some practical experience.

Algorithms are only open to CS majors who pay twice as much tuition as I do :(

But thanks for the advice, I'll try to get a hands-on project.

D H said:
There's no description of those courses, or their prerequisites. For example, if the computation finance course has data structures and numerical methods as prerequisites, you might get a hint of the hairy mathematical techniques needed to be a quant. If it doesn't, you're going to learn spread sheets and accounting.

If you can choose but one, it's a tossup between data structures and numerical methods. If you can take two, those are the two I would recommend. After that, it gets a bit murky. Computer architecture and software engineering are both worthy topics. As for the rest, you didn't give enough information about the courses or about yourself.

Distributed systems -- Without a synopsis, this could be anything between a trade school level class on how to use middleware to a very hard but worthy class on how to use threads, multiple processes, and multiple processors. MIS? My opinion only, but you don't want to go there. Logic for computer science? Without a synopsis I can't even hazard a guess what that course would be about. Surely it's not a semester long course on Boolean algebra. If it is, you don't want to go there. If it's about NAND gates, NOR gates, flip flops, adders, and ALUs: That's a very worthy topic, but only if you want to major in digital electronics and work for a chip maker.

Sorry for missing so much information. Detailed descriptions of the courses can be found here:http://www.ucalendar.uwaterloo.ca/1314/COURSE/course-CS.html
though I changed the titles little bit.

It seems like I should take data structures and numerical methods. Thank you everyone.

1. What CS courses are recommended for a Physics major?

Some recommended CS courses for a Physics major include programming fundamentals, data structures and algorithms, computational physics, and numerical analysis.

2. How will CS courses benefit a Physics major?

CS courses can benefit a Physics major by providing them with computational and analytical skills that are highly valuable in the field of physics. These courses also enhance problem-solving abilities and offer a deeper understanding of coding and data analysis techniques.

3. Are there any specific CS courses that are essential for a Physics major?

While there are no specific CS courses that are considered essential for a Physics major, it is highly recommended to take courses that focus on scientific programming and data analysis, as these skills are highly applicable in the field of physics.

4. Can CS courses be substituted for traditional Physics courses?

No, CS courses cannot be substituted for traditional Physics courses. While they may complement each other, they are different fields of study and have distinct learning outcomes.

5. How can I balance CS courses with my Physics major coursework?

It is important to plan your coursework and schedule carefully to balance CS courses with your Physics major requirements. Try to spread out CS courses throughout your academic career and prioritize which courses are most important for your career goals.