Cube with charges at each vertex

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for finding the electric field at the center of the upper face, taking into account the canceling effects of the charges at the top and bottom. The final answer is corrected to be ##\frac{8\sqrt6}{9}k\frac{q}{s^2}##.
archaic
Homework Statement
Determine an expression for the magnitude of the electric field at the center of any face of the cube.
Relevant Equations
$$E=k\frac{q}{r^2}$$
22-c-op-027-alt.png
For convenience, I take the center of the upper face.
The charges at the top cancel each other's effects, and those at the bottom cancel each other's horizontal effects, so I get$$E=4k\frac{q}{r^2}\sin\theta$$I have found that ##\theta=\arcsin\left(\frac{s}{r}\right)=\arcsin{\sqrt\frac{2}{3}}##, with ##r=\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}s##:$$E=4\frac{2}{3}\sqrt\frac23k\frac{q}{s^2}=\frac{8\sqrt6}{9}k\frac{q}{s^2}$$
Correct, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The method looks right, but I think you have dropped a factor of ##\sqrt{2}## in your very final answer.

Likes archaic
etotheipi said:
The method looks right, but I think you have dropped a factor of ##\sqrt{2}## in your very final answer.
should have been ##\sqrt6## instead of ##\sqrt3##. thanks, corrected!

Likes etotheipi

1. What is a cube with charges at each vertex?

A cube with charges at each vertex is a geometric shape that has a charge placed at each of its eight corners. The charges can be either positive or negative, and they are evenly distributed throughout the cube.

2. How is a cube with charges at each vertex created?

A cube with charges at each vertex can be created by placing a charge at each of the eight corners of a cube. The charges can be added manually or using a computer simulation.

3. What is the purpose of a cube with charges at each vertex?

The purpose of a cube with charges at each vertex is to demonstrate the concept of electric potential and how it varies throughout a three-dimensional space. It can also be used to study the behavior of electric fields and forces.

4. How do the charges affect each other in a cube with charges at each vertex?

The charges in a cube with charges at each vertex will interact with each other through the electric force. Like charges will repel each other, while opposite charges will attract each other. The overall behavior of the charges will depend on the distribution and magnitude of the charges.

5. What are some real-world applications of a cube with charges at each vertex?

A cube with charges at each vertex can be used to model the electric potential and fields in a variety of real-world scenarios, such as electric circuits and the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields. It can also be used to study the properties of materials and their response to electric fields.