• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Current produced by rev of electron

• Thread starter kanki
  • Start date
I'm having a bit difficulty in understanding this question...
In a Hydrogen aton, an electron goes round the proton at a rate of 7 x 10^5 rev/s in a circular orbit of radius 5.0 x 10^-11
What is the current produced by the revolution of electron?

Well, the formula for current is Q/t and Ne/t. I don't know how to convert the angular velocity to current. Please help!

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
kanki said:
I'm having a bit difficulty in understanding this question...
In a Hydrogen aton, an electron goes round the proton at a rate of 7 x 10^5 rev/s in a circular orbit of radius 5.0 x 10^-11
What is the current produced by the revolution of electron?

Well, the formula for current is Q/t and Ne/t. I don't know how to convert the angular velocity to current. Please help!
1. If you look at a point along the electron's "orbit", how many times does the electron passes through that point in a second?

2. If an electron has a charge e, from your answer to (1), how much charge has passed through that point per second?

3. Oh wait, what you now have is...... look at that! You have "amount of charge passing through per second"! This is current!

Zz.

Oh then i just have to use the number of revolutions per second.
The electron passes through the point 7 x 10^5 times in a second, so the amount of charge, Q is equal to 7 x 10^5 times the charge e in a second?
And that's the answer?

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
kanki said:
Oh then i just have to use the number of revolutions per second.
The electron passes through the point 7 x 10^5 times in a second, so the amount of charge, Q is equal to 7 x 10^5 times the charge e in a second?
And that's the answer?
It should be, unless it wants current density or something I'm not noticing.

Zz.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving