1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current produced by rev of electron

1. Jul 15, 2005 #1
    I'm having a bit difficulty in understanding this question...
    In a Hydrogen aton, an electron goes round the proton at a rate of 7 x 10^5 rev/s in a circular orbit of radius 5.0 x 10^-11
    What is the current produced by the revolution of electron?

Well, the formula for current is Q/t and Ne/t. I don't know how to convert the angular velocity to current. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

1. If you look at a point along the electron's "orbit", how many times does the electron passes through that point in a second?

2. If an electron has a charge e, from your answer to (1), how much charge has passed through that point per second?

3. Oh wait, what you now have is...... look at that! You have "amount of charge passing through per second"! This is current!

Zz.

4. Jul 17, 2005 #3
    Oh then i just have to use the number of revolutions per second.
    The electron passes through the point 7 x 10^5 times in a second, so the amount of charge, Q is equal to 7 x 10^5 times the charge e in a second?
    And that's the answer?

5. Jul 17, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It should be, unless it wants current density or something I'm not noticing.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?