What Happens to the Current Through an Inductor When the Switch Opens?

In summary, the switch in the circuit has been closed for a long time and is opened at t=0. To find i(50 ms), the KVL equations for the circuit were used to find the current through the inductor and the voltage across the capacitor before the switch was opened. Then, the second equation was used to find the current after the switch was opened. Different methods were discussed, including solving for an expression for q(t) and taking the derivative to find i(t), and using the Laplace Transform to solve the differential equation. The final solution for the current, i(t), was found to be a damped oscillation with a maximum at 3 A and approaching 0 as t approaches infinity. The initial charge on
RoyalFlush100

Homework Statement

"The switch in the circuit in the figure has been closed for a long time and is opened at t = 0. Find i(50 ms)."
I attached an image of the circuit below.

Homework Equations

KVL:
Ri + q(t)/C - q(0)/C + vc(t) + Li' = vs(t)
Li'' + Ri' + i/C = vs'(t)
Where vc is voltage across the capacitor and vs is the source voltage. Q is the charge flowing through the current.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found i(t) through the inductor and the vc prior to the switch opening:
30 = 10i --> i = 3 A
20-vc = 5i --> vc = 5 V

Now, I applied the second equation and this is where I become confused. It has to do with the application of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. i goes through the bottom of the capacitor, so I don't know how to set up the equation.
Li'' + Ri' + i/C = 0
i'' + 10i' + 25i = 0 This?
i'' + 10i' - 25i = 0 Or this?
Likewise, I'll need to find i'(0) after. Would that be:
Ri + q(t)/C - q(0)/C + vc(t) + Li' = vs(t)
10 + 5 + i' = 10 This?
10 - 5 + i' = 10 Or this?

I think it should be minus in both cases, but the numbers behave weirdly when I try that.

Attachments

• Circuit.gif
    Circuit.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you just took the derivative of both sides of your first equation to get the second equation:
Why did you do this? You will need to know an extra initial condition to solve the second order equation.
How about just solve for an expression for q(t), then take the derivative of that to get I(t) ?
What methods are you familiar with in solving this type of differential equation?

scottdave said:
It looks like you just took the derivative of both sides of your first equation to get the second equation:
Why did you do this? You will need to know an extra initial condition to solve the second order equation.
How about just solve for an expression for q(t), then take the derivative of that to get I(t) ?
What methods are you familiar with in solving this type of differential equation?
This is the way I typically do these types:
1) Take the derivative, giving a second order differential equation. Find i (the roots of which will be real and unequal, real and equal, or complex).
2) Solve for i(0), which will give an equation involving the two constants.
3) Take the first equation and solve for i'(0). Then, take the derivative of the equation for i and solve it for i'(0). With both these equations, the two constants in the equation for i can be solved.

The main thing I'm unsure of though is current traveling through the bottom of the capacitor. I'm assuming that means the voltage drop will be negative (assuming vc is positive), but the numbers of working out oddly when I try that.Also, the reason I didn't solve directly for q is because that would just be a more difficult second order differential equation, since i' would just be q''. It would also require me to know q(0) and there'd be more constants in the equations.

Ok. I just wasn't sure what you were asking. Yes it is still 2nd order as you have q' is I and i' is q''. If current is flowing into the positive end of a device, then that device is using energy. If current is flowing out of the positive terminal, then the device is providing energy, if that helps you.

scottdave said:
Ok. I just wasn't sure what you were asking. Yes it is still 2nd order as you have q' is I and i' is q''. If current is flowing into the positive end of a device, then that device is using energy. If current is flowing out of the positive terminal, then the device is providing energy, if that helps you.
Okay, so in that case it'd be minus then. So:
i'' + 10i' - 25i = 0
s^2 + 10s - 25 = 0
s = -10/2 +/- sqrt(100-4(-25))/2
s = 5 +/- sqrt(200)/2
s = 12.071 or -2.0711

i(t) = Ae^(12.071t) + Be^(-2.0711t)
i(0) = 3 = A + B
B = 3 - A

Now:
10 - 5 + i' = 10
i' = 5

i'(t) = 12.071Ae^(12.071t) - 2.0711Be^(-2.0711t)
i'(0) = 5 =12.071A - 2.0711B
5 = 12.071A - 2.0711(3-A)
5 = 12.071A - 6.2133 + 2.0711A
11.2133 = 14.1421A
A = 0.7929
B = 3 - 0.7929 = 2.2071

i(t) = 0.7929e^(12.071t) + 2.2071e^(-2.0711t)

The problem is, this makes no sense. As t approaches infinity, the problem will approach infinity, but just by looking at the circuit I can tell it should approach 0.

You know it needs to be a damped oscillation, but you are not getting that (in fact the exponential has positive exponent, which is an unstable system). So you know you have a problem somewhere.

When you take the Laplace Transform of the second derivative, you get
L(i’’(t)) = s²*I(s) – s*i(0) – i’(0)
Laplace of the first derivative is L(i’(t)) = s*I(s) – i(0)
See this:
http://mathfaculty.fullerton.edu/mathews/c2003/laplacetransformmod.html
You already determined that i(0) = 3 A, but that is not reflected in your formulas.

At first I think the voltage across capacitor VC=q/C. Since q=qo-integral(idt)|t=0 to t the voltage drop in the last loop has to be :
Ldi/dt+Ri+[(qo-integral(idt)]/C+10=0 then take the derivate:
Li”+Ri’-i/C=0
The solution-see the attached link-will be i=Ae^(x1.t)+Be^(x2.t) and if i=0 for t=infinite
Then A=0
Solve the above equation by using y=Be^(x2.t) for t=0 y=B and find the B
https://www.wikihow.com/Solve-Differential-Equations

Correction:
Since eventually the voltage across the capacitor has to be 10 V the correct capacitor charge will be:
upload_2017-10-31_8-2-54.png

Then the voltage drop equation has to be:
upload_2017-10-31_7-58-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-31_7-58-38.png
    upload_2017-10-31_7-58-38.png
    678 bytes · Views: 358
  • upload_2017-10-31_8-0-1.png
    upload_2017-10-31_8-0-1.png
    458 bytes · Views: 408
  • upload_2017-10-31_8-1-10.png
    upload_2017-10-31_8-1-10.png
    458 bytes · Views: 385
  • upload_2017-10-31_8-2-54.png
    upload_2017-10-31_8-2-54.png
    690 bytes · Views: 366
If we take 10 V [of the voltage source] as positive the initial Vc=-5 V.[qo=-5*.04] .The integral i.dt has to be in the limits 0 and t.

I think you-almost-solved the problem. You have only to revise some points.
The voltage on capacitor terminal before switch opening is +5 volt-indeed as you said. At t=infinite the voltage will be -10 volt. At first qo=5*.04=0.2 coulomb will decrease up to 0 and the current will continue to flow in the same direction.
If we'll consider the last -10 V as positive [+10 V] then qo=-0.2 coulomb. So the KVL in the loop will be:
L.i'+10*i+[-0.2+(∫i/dt)]|t=0 to t]/C=10
upload_2017-11-1_8-15-33.png

L.i''+10*i'+i/C=0
s1,2=[-10+/-√(100-4/.04)]/2
upload_2017-11-1_8-16-33.png

s1=s2=-5
i=Io.e^(-5.t) i'=-5.Io.e^(-5.t) (∫i/dt)|t=0 to t|=(-1/5.e^(-5.t)+1/5).Io
if t=0 -5.Io+10.Io-0.2/0.04=10 5.Io=15 Io=3
i=3.e^(-5.t)
Check:
t=infinite q(infinite)= -5*0.04+(-0+3/5)=0.4 Vc=0.4/.04=10 V

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-1_8-15-33.png
    upload_2017-11-1_8-15-33.png
    774 bytes · Views: 341
  • upload_2017-11-1_8-16-33.png
    upload_2017-11-1_8-16-33.png
    639 bytes · Views: 366

1. What is current through an inductor?

The current through an inductor is the flow of electricity that passes through the inductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is determined by the voltage and the inductance of the inductor.

2. How does current through an inductor behave in a DC circuit?

In a DC circuit, the current through an inductor initially rises to its maximum value when the voltage is applied, but then gradually decreases to zero as the magnetic field reaches its maximum strength. This behavior is due to the inductor's property of opposing changes in current.

3. What happens to current through an inductor in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, the current through an inductor continually changes direction as the voltage alternates. The magnitude of the current depends on the frequency and amplitude of the AC voltage, as well as the inductance of the inductor.

4. How does the presence of an inductor affect the overall current in a circuit?

An inductor has the ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field, which can cause a delay in the flow of current in a circuit. This can result in a phase shift between the voltage and current, and can also affect the overall magnitude of the current in the circuit.

5. How is the current through an inductor calculated?

The current through an inductor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In the case of an inductor, the resistance is replaced by the inductance (L) and the formula becomes I = V / L. This means that for a given voltage, the current through an inductor is inversely proportional to its inductance.