Current (y-axis) against time (x-axis) graph -- help please

And, at 50 Hz, the current would be alternating at 100 times per second, not the several dozen cycles per second that you would see at 60 Hz. So 50 Hz would be more like 50 cycles per second, or 100 direction changes per second. In summary, the conversation revolves around requesting help with plotting a graph of current against time to demonstrate an alternating current of 50 Hz with a peak value of 12 V. The person is unsure of how to complete this task and is seeking guidance through online resources or their textbook. However, there may be some confusion about the units being used for current and the frequency of the alternating current.
wakakabakaka
Please, can someone give me some help?

The question is:

Draw a graph of current (y-axis) against time (x-axis) to illustrate exactly what is meant by an alternating current of 50 Hz and peak value 12 V?

My attempt:

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I really have no idea how to do it, literally, my teacher haven't taught us that yer... I beg for help please ...

wakakabakaka said:
I really have no idea how to do it, literally, my teacher haven't taught us that yer... I beg for help please ...

Look for help on-line. Google 'plotting graphs', or something similar. Alternatively, consult your textbook, if you have one.

The point is that trying to explain how to plot graphs in a PF message is impractical; all the explanations and details have already been written up by others, and the explanations are readily available.

Last edited:
Are you sure you have the correct assignment? Your OP mentions plotting current against time, and then you mention an alternating current of 50 Hz with a peak value of 12 V. Volts are not used to measure current, which is supposed to be measured in units of amperes.

1. What is a current against time graph?

A current against time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between the electric current in a circuit and the time it takes for the current to flow. The x-axis represents time and the y-axis represents current, usually measured in amperes (A).

2. How do I interpret a current against time graph?

To interpret a current against time graph, you should look at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a higher current, while a flatter slope indicates a lower current. You can also look at the y-intercept, which represents the initial current at the start of the time interval.

3. What does a horizontal line on a current against time graph mean?

A horizontal line on a current against time graph means that the current is constant over time. This could indicate a steady flow of electricity in a circuit or a system that is not changing over time.

4. How is a current against time graph useful in scientific research?

A current against time graph is useful in scientific research because it allows scientists to analyze the behavior of electrical systems over time. It can help identify patterns, changes, and anomalies in the current flow, which can provide valuable insights for further experimentation and development.

5. How can I create a current against time graph?

To create a current against time graph, you will need to collect data on the current at different time intervals. This can be done using various instruments such as ammeters or data loggers. Once you have your data, you can plot it on a graph with time on the x-axis and current on the y-axis. You can also use software programs or online tools to create a graph from your data.