Understanding i(t) and v(t) Calculations

• Thread starter sofiapastrana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculations
In summary, the purpose of calculating i(t) and v(t) is to understand the behavior and characteristics of electrical circuits, using Ohm's Law. i(t) and v(t) are calculated by applying the formula i(t) = v(t)/R, where i(t) is the current at a specific time (t), v(t) is the voltage at that time, and R is the resistance. i(t) represents the current flowing through a circuit at a specific time, while v(t) represents the voltage across the circuit at that time. They are interdependent and affect each other in a circuit, with changes in voltage causing changes in current and vice versa. Practical applications of these calculations include designing and analyzing electronic circuits, power
sofiapastrana
Homework Statement
Compute i(t) and v(t).
Relevant Equations
i=C*dv(t)/dt
Kirchhoff laws
I think i(t)= i1f + i2f -ig. I want to be sure of it and I also need to compute v(t), but I don't know how to.

Attachments

• ph.PNG
    ph.PNG
    5.7 KB · Views: 85
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the current through the 1F capacitor? What does that tell you about the voltage across that capacitor?
What is the voltage across the 2F capacitor? What does that tell you about the current through that capacitor?
What is KCL (the current sum) at the node between the two capacitors?

1. What is the difference between i(t) and v(t) in electrical circuits?

I(t) refers to the current flowing through a circuit at a specific time, while v(t) refers to the voltage across a circuit at a specific time. In other words, i(t) is the rate of flow of electric charge, while v(t) is the potential difference that drives this flow.

2. How are i(t) and v(t) related to each other?

According to Ohm's Law, the current (i) in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage (v) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R). This relationship can be expressed as i(t) = v(t)/R. In other words, the current through a circuit will increase if the voltage increases, and decrease if the resistance increases.

3. What is the significance of calculating i(t) and v(t) in electrical circuits?

Calculating i(t) and v(t) is essential in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It helps in determining the amount of current and voltage at different points in a circuit, and how they change over time. This information is crucial in designing and troubleshooting circuits.

4. How do you calculate i(t) and v(t) in a circuit with multiple components?

The calculation of i(t) and v(t) in a circuit with multiple components can be done using Kirchhoff's Current and Voltage Laws. These laws state that the sum of currents entering a junction must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction, and the sum of voltages around a closed loop must equal zero. By applying these laws, a system of equations can be set up and solved to find the values of i(t) and v(t).

5. Can i(t) and v(t) be measured experimentally?

Yes, i(t) and v(t) can be measured experimentally using various instruments such as ammeters and voltmeters. These instruments are connected in series and parallel with the circuit components to measure the current and voltage, respectively. It is important to note that the measurements may not be exact due to factors such as resistance in the measuring instruments and the circuit itself.