Cylinder carrying volume and surface current, H field

In summary, the conversation discusses an infinite cylinder with varying current and magnetic permeability, and the task of finding H and B fields, magnetization, and magnetizing volume and surface currents. The attempt at a solution calculates the current and H field for different regions of the cylinder, but questions a discrepancy with the teacher's answer. It is concluded that the teacher's expression for H is dimensionally incorrect.
cacofolius

Homework Statement

We have an infinite cylinder that, from radius 0 to a, has a volume current density ##\vec{J(r)}=J_{0}(r/a) \hat{z}## , then from a to 2a, it has a material with uniform linear magnetic permeability ##\mu=(3/2)\mu_0##
, and at the surface, it has surface current ##\vec{K}=-K_{0}\hat{z}##. I have to find i)the H and B fields everywhere, ii)the magnetization, and iii)the magnetizing volume and surface currents. However I just have a question on the first part of i)

Homework Equations

Modified Ampére's Law ##\oint_C \vec{H} . \vec{dl}=I_{enc}##
##\vec{H}=\frac{\vec{B}}{\mu_0}-\vec{M}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Current from 0 to r, with r<a: ##\int_{0}^{r} \int_{0}^{2\pi} J_{0}(r/a) r dθ dr = \frac{2\pi J_0 r^3}{3a}##
Total current from 0 to a: ##\frac{2\pi J_0 a^2}{3}##
H field, using Ampére's Law (cylindrical symmetry):
r<a: ##H(2\pi r)=\frac{2\pi r^3}{3a} \rightarrow H=\frac{J_0 r^2}{3a}##

a<r<2a: ##H(2\pi r)=\frac{2\pi J_0 a^2}{3} \rightarrow H=\frac{J_0 a^2}{3r}##

My doubt is that my teacher just wrote the answers, and I got the same except the last one, where he wrote ##H=\frac {J_0 r^2}{3}##. Wouldn't that imply that the field is increasing with distance squared from the center, however without the radius enclosing anymore current? Where did I go wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears that your teacher made a mistake and wrote down an expression that is dimensionally incorrect. The dimensions of H, as seen in Ampere's law, are current per length. Your teacher's expression has units of just current.

Likes cacofolius
Thanks for your reply, kuruman.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do I calculate the surface area of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a cylinder is A = 2πrh + 2πr2, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

3. What is surface current in relation to a cylinder?

Surface current is the flow of electrical current on the surface of a conductor, such as a cylinder. It is typically measured in amperes per meter (A/m).

4. How do I calculate the H field of a cylinder?

The H field of a cylinder can be calculated using the formula H = I/2πr, where I is the current flowing through the cylinder and r is the radius of the cylinder.

5. How does the carrying volume of a cylinder affect the surface current and H field?

The carrying volume of a cylinder does not have a direct effect on the surface current and H field. However, a larger carrying volume may allow for a greater amount of current to flow through the cylinder, resulting in a stronger H field. Additionally, a larger surface area may also contribute to a stronger H field.