D/dx |x+2|^x (solution known, need explanation)

In summary, The derivative of |x+2|^x is |x+2|^x (ln|x+2| + x/(x+2)). This is derived using the chain rule and basic properties of logarithms and exponents. It is important to note that the derivative of an absolute value function is dependent on the value of the argument, and will be undefined at the point where the argument is equal to zero.
Dafydd
Solved! d/dx |x+2|^x

Homework Statement

I need someone to explain this:
http://www.dafydd.se/stuff/solvethis.png

Homework Equations

I guess the following are of relevance...

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} |x| = \frac{x}{|x|}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} a^x = a^x ln a[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is up there. I just need help understanding why this is the solution.

Normally, iirc a derivative of an expression is the outer derivative times the inner derivative, but here it seems to be the original expression times the inner plus the outer derivative, or something in between... eh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula for the derivative of the exponent does not apply here. Note that the a in your formula is a constant, where as the 'a' in this problem is x dependent.

Realise that:
[tex]
|x+2|^x=e^{\log|x+2|^x}=e^{x \log|x+2|}
[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

Hm.

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} e^x = e^x \frac{d}{dx} x
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} ln|x| = \frac{1}{x}
[/tex]

so

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} e^{x \log|x+2|} = e^{x \log|x+2|} \frac{d}{dx}(x \log|x+2|) = e^{x \log|x+2|} (ln|x+2| + \frac{x}{x+2}) = |x+2|^x (ln|x+2| + \frac{x}{x+2})
[/tex]

Thanks for the tip, I would never have thought of that. There's too many "tricks" to remember.

Last edited:
What you wrote in the last line of your post is correct, I have just a small comment on the notation in the first formula: actually
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} e^x = e^x.
[/tex]

What you meant was
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} e^{f(x)} = e^{f(x)} \frac{d}{dx} f(x)
[/tex]
which is a consequence of the chain rule. It is this you are using (for f(x) = x log|x + 2|).

You applied it correctly though.

Ok, yes, you're right. Thanks!

Not that it matters that much to me right now, but how is it a consequence of the chain rule?

If we have a composite function f(g(x)) then the chain rule says that:

[tex]
\frac{df(g(x))}{dx}=\frac{df}{dg}\frac{dg}{dx}=f'(g(x))g'(x)
[/tex]

The same happens with the exponent where [itex]f(x)=e^x[/itex], [itex]g(x)=x \log|x+2|[/itex] and [itex]f(g(x))=\exp(x \log|x+2|)[/itex]. This is the chain rule.

Instead of trying to do derivative formulas with absolute values in them, it may be better to take two cases, x+2 > 0 and x+2 < 0 ... also note that the answer is undefined when x+2 = 0 anyway.

Cyosis - got it, thanks!

g_edgar - I agree, but the example was taken from an old exam and what I wrote in the first post was the only answer or explanation given in the solutions. I don't know if a solution taking two cases would have given full credit.

1. How do you find the derivative of |x+2|^x?

The derivative of |x+2|^x can be found by using the chain rule. First, we rewrite the expression as e^(xln|x+2|). Then, we apply the chain rule, which states that the derivative of f(g(x)) is equal to f'(g(x)) * g'(x). In this case, f(x) = e^x and g(x) = xln|x+2|. Therefore, the derivative is e^(xln|x+2|) * (ln|x+2| + x * 1/(x+2)).

2. What is the domain of the function |x+2|^x?

The domain of |x+2|^x is all real numbers except for -2, since the absolute value of a negative number raised to any power will result in a complex number. Therefore, the function is defined for all values of x greater than -2.

3. How does the value of x affect the graph of |x+2|^x?

The value of x affects the graph of |x+2|^x by shifting the graph horizontally. When x is a negative number, the graph will be shifted to the left, and when x is a positive number, the graph will be shifted to the right. Additionally, as x approaches 0, the graph becomes steeper and approaches a vertical asymptote at x = -2.

4. What is the limit of |x+2|^x as x approaches infinity?

The limit of |x+2|^x as x approaches infinity is infinity. This can be seen by taking the natural logarithm of the function and using L'Hopital's rule. In this case, the limit becomes lim x->infinity (xln|x+2|) = lim x->infinity (ln|x+2|)/1/x, which is an indeterminate form. Applying L'Hopital's rule, we get lim x->infinity (1/(x+2)) = 0, and therefore the limit of the original function is infinity.

5. How can the derivative of |x+2|^x be used in real-world applications?

The derivative of |x+2|^x can be used in real-world applications to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. This is because the derivative gives us the slope of the tangent line at any point on the graph, and the maximum or minimum value of a function occurs when the slope is equal to 0. Therefore, by setting the derivative equal to 0 and solving for x, we can find the critical points of the function, which can help us determine the maximum or minimum value.