How to Solve a Damped Harmonic Oscillator Problem?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with a damped harmonic oscillator and questions about its parameters and energy loss. The suggested solution involves using the equation for the damped oscillator and the period formula to find the value of b and calculate the energy lost. The approach and calculations were provided in detail. The individual expressing difficulty with the problem expressed gratitude for the help.
wannabeadoc05
Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble with a damped harmonic oscillator problem:

A damped harmonic oscillator consists of a block (m=2.00kg), a spring (k=10 N/m), and a damping force (F=-bv). Initially it oscillates with an amplitude of 25.0cm. Because of the damping force, the amplitude falls to 3/4 of this initial value at the completion of four osciallations. (a) What is the value of b? (b) How much energy has been "lost" during these four oscillations?

The truth is. I'm not really sure where to start. My book only gives a few equations to work with and I'm not sure how to relate them to find the value of b.

The first thing I did was find the period (T), by the equation
T=2∏ √(2.0Kg/10N/m) = 2.8s

...,but I'm not really sure what to do with it.

Any help with this would be awesome!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
wannabeadoc05 said:
Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble with a damped harmonic oscillator problem:

A damped harmonic oscillator consists of a block (m=2.00kg), a spring (k=10 N/m), and a damping force (F=-bv). Initially it oscillates with an amplitude of 25.0cm. Because of the damping force, the amplitude falls to 3/4 of this initial value at the completion of four osciallations. (a) What is the value of b? (b) How much energy has been "lost" during these four oscillations?

The truth is. I'm not really sure where to start. My book only gives a few equations to work with and I'm not sure how to relate them to find the value of b.

The first thing I did was find the period (T), by the equation
T=2∏ √(2.0Kg/10N/m) = 2.8s

...,but I'm not really sure what to do with it.

Any help with this would be awesome!

Thanks

The equation for the damped oscillator along let's say the "x" axis reads:
[tex] m\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}+v\frac{dv}{dt}+kx=0.[/tex].
The period is [itex] T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}[/itex].The amplitude of the oscillations descreases with time exponentially as it would be shown by solving the differential equation above:
[tex]A(t)=A_{0} \exp({-\frac{b}{2m}t})[/tex].
Use tha fac that 4 periods mean a certain amount of time (4T=t) and the fact that [itex]A(4T)=3/4 A [/itex],plug it in the equation,simplify through A,take the logaritm,substitute t=4T and the value of m to find your answer.
Use the total energy formula (kinetic+potential)in which u plug the correct figures u have.The result should be pretty simple.The energy lost is just the difference between the one at the intial time and the one after 4T.BTW,your first calculation for the period of oscillation was correct.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks,

You are awesome!:smile:

wannabeadoc05 said:
Thanks,

You are awesome!:smile:

Thank You! :blushing:

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a type of oscillator that experiences a resistive force, causing it to gradually lose energy and eventually come to rest. This is in contrast to an undamped harmonic oscillator, which would continue to oscillate indefinitely.

2. How does damping affect the motion of a harmonic oscillator?

Damping affects the motion of a harmonic oscillator by reducing the amplitude of the oscillations and causing the oscillator to reach equilibrium more quickly. This is due to the dissipative force that opposes the motion of the oscillator.

3. What is the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator is given by x(t) = A*e^(-bt)*cos(ωt + φ), where x is the position of the oscillator, A is the initial amplitude, b is the damping coefficient, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How does the damping coefficient affect the behavior of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The damping coefficient affects the behavior of a damped harmonic oscillator by determining the rate at which the oscillator loses energy and the speed at which it reaches equilibrium. A larger damping coefficient leads to a faster decay of oscillations and a quicker approach to equilibrium.

5. What is the relationship between the damping coefficient and the quality factor of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The damping coefficient and the quality factor (Q-factor) of a damped harmonic oscillator are inversely related. The Q-factor is a measure of the sharpness of the resonance peak in the oscillator's frequency response, and a higher damping coefficient leads to a lower Q-factor.