Dampening effect on a pendulum

• Thread starter BEEFCOPTER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to calculate the time a pendulum will take to come to a complete stop. The time period formula for pendulum T=2pie.sqrt(L/g) is mentioned, but it is acknowledged that the actual time will vary depending on factors such as friction in the pivot point and air resistance. The conversation also mentions using an equation to calculate the total time until the pendulum comes to rest, but it is not specified which equation would be appropriate.
BEEFCOPTER
Ok, my mind has gone blank. What equation do I use to calculate the time a pendulum will take to come to a complete stop?.. I have all variables, length of string, angle it was released, etc.. I know the equation for period, but how do I figure how long till it stops from DAMPENING effect..?

This isn't really a homework question, its just for something I am building. So hopefully this is the right place to post. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you use the time period formula for pendulum
T=2pie.sqrt(L/g)

That would vary from pendulum to pendulum... there's no way to calculate how long it keep swinging without knowing the sources of friction. There's friction 1. in the bearing of the pendulum's pivot point (unless its a wire tied to a point, in which case there's energy lost in the wire) 2. between the surface of the pendulum's weight or 'bob' and any gas or liquid it's swinging in.

Once you know that damping force (experiment) you can use the equation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum

Ok, so, forgive me if these questions are remedial, physics is not my strongest subject. So: If, knowing the total coeffeicient of friction (of the pivot point, as well as the air resistance) what equation would represent total time until the pendulum comes to rest?

I can understand your confusion about the dampening effect on a pendulum. The equation you are looking for is called the damped oscillation equation, which takes into account the dampening effect on the pendulum's motion. This equation is more complex than the simple pendulum period equation, as it also includes factors such as the mass of the pendulum, the strength of the dampening force, and the initial conditions of the pendulum's motion.

To calculate the time it takes for the pendulum to come to a complete stop, you will need to use the damped oscillation equation and solve for the time variable. This will give you a more accurate estimate of the pendulum's motion, taking into account the dampening effect. Keep in mind that the dampening effect will cause the pendulum to lose energy over time, resulting in a decrease in amplitude and eventually coming to a complete stop.

I would suggest consulting a physics textbook or online resources to find the specific damped oscillation equation that applies to your situation, as it may vary depending on the exact setup of your pendulum. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is the dampening effect on a pendulum?

The dampening effect on a pendulum is the decrease in amplitude of the pendulum's swing over time due to the presence of external forces such as air resistance and friction.

2. How does the dampening effect affect the period of a pendulum?

The dampening effect causes the period of a pendulum to increase as the amplitude of the swing decreases. This is because the external forces act as a resistance to the pendulum's motion, slowing it down and increasing the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing.

3. What factors can influence the dampening effect on a pendulum?

The dampening effect on a pendulum can be influenced by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the weight of the pendulum bob, and the surrounding air density. In general, longer and heavier pendulums will experience a greater dampening effect.

4. Can the dampening effect be eliminated?

No, the dampening effect cannot be completely eliminated as it is caused by external forces that are always present. However, it can be reduced by minimizing the factors that contribute to it, such as using a shorter and lighter pendulum or conducting the experiment in a vacuum.

5. How does the dampening effect impact the accuracy of pendulum experiments?

The dampening effect can lead to inaccuracies in pendulum experiments as it can cause the pendulum's period to vary over time. This can make it difficult to obtain precise and consistent results. To minimize this impact, scientists often use advanced techniques such as error correction and averaging to improve the accuracy of their measurements.