Help with Damping Questions: How to Start & Learn More

• Thread starter Motorbiker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damping
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a problem and being advised to start by understanding the kinematics of the problem. They are also advised to look at the force balance and apply Newton's second law. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the relationship between displacement, elongation of the spring, and rate of elongation of the dashpot.
Motorbiker
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Template is shown
Hello everyone,

I am really stuck on the first question in the document and I don't even know where to begin.

If someone could explain what is happening and how to start the problem, I am confident I will be able to tackle it.

It would also be a big help if you could direct me to some helpful resources so that I can grasp this topic fully,

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us what you know so far before we can be of tutorial help. What does your textbook say about this subject? You should be able to do the first part of the problem for us and find the natural frequency of the stationary crate, no?

T he problem statement may be cut off, but as it appears here, it speaks of the "undamped natural frequenc(y) damping ratio." This is nonsense. Is there something else intended here?

Likes berkeman
Let's see your force balance equation on the mass M.

Chester says that you need to write a force balance, but I think he means that you need to apply Newton's second law, F = m*a.

Before that, however, I suggest that you look at the kinematics of this problem. How is the displacement of the mass related to elongation of the spring and rate of elongation of the dashpot? This is the place to start, in my thinking.

Dr.D said:
Chester says that you need to write a force balance, but I think he means that you need to apply Newton's second law, F = m*a.

Before that, however, I suggest that you look at the kinematics of this problem. How is the displacement of the mass related to elongation of the spring and rate of elongation of the dashpot? This is the place to start, in my thinking.
Yes. I agree. The first thing to do in any "pulley problem" is to focus on the kinematics.

1. What is damping and why is it important in science?

Damping refers to the gradual decrease in the amplitude of a wave or oscillation over time. It is important in science because it affects the behavior and stability of systems, such as in mechanical or electrical systems, and can impact the accuracy of measurements and experiments.

2. How can I start learning about damping?

To start learning about damping, it is important to have a basic understanding of waves and oscillations. You can then explore different types of damping, such as viscous, coulomb, or structural damping, and their effects. Online resources, textbooks, and scientific articles are great places to start.

3. What are some real-world examples of damping?

Examples of damping can be found in many areas of science and engineering. Some common examples include shock absorbers in cars, the motion of a pendulum, and the decay of sound in a room. Damping can also be observed in natural phenomena, such as the movement of tides or the oscillations of atoms.

4. How can damping be controlled or minimized?

Damping can be controlled or minimized through various methods, depending on the type of damping and the system involved. Some methods include adding damping materials, adjusting the design or geometry of a system, or using active control techniques. Further research and experimentation may be needed to find the most effective solution for a specific system.

5. What are some potential applications of understanding damping?

Understanding damping can have many practical applications in science and engineering. It can help improve the design and efficiency of systems, such as in the construction of buildings or bridges. It can also aid in the development of new technologies, such as in the fields of robotics or transportation. Additionally, understanding damping can provide insights into natural phenomena and help us better understand the world around us.