DC Generator Reference Books for Aeronautical Engineering Students

In summary, the conversation discusses the completion of a DC generator chapter from a course book and the need for reference books to help solve questions on previous exams. The person pursuing Aeronautical Engineering through correspondence expresses the lack of guidance and reliance on self-study. Three specific questions are mentioned, including finding the ampere-turns per pole of field excitation, calculating the energy stored in the magnetic field, and determining the number of poles for a DC generator. The suggested reference book, Electric Machinery fundamentals by Chapman, is recommended for solving these types of problems.
himanshushanka
I have completed a DC generator chapter from my course book. Below mentioned questions have been asked in previous examinations, but my course book doesn't help in solving these. Please help me with the reference books which will be helpful in solving these type of questions.

I am pursuing Aeronautical Engineering through correspondence, hence I lack guidance. It's like self study.

1. Find the ampere-turns per pole of field excitation required for the single gap of a 2-pole DC generator with the following particulars : 200 V on no load at 2000 rpm, armature length 32 cm, effective gap length 0.8 cm, pole arc 30 cm and 200 armature conductor.

2. A 10 kW, 1440 rpm desperately excited generator has resistance loss of 400 W in the field winding under normal operating conditions. The time constant of the field winding is 0.2 secs. Calculated the energy stored in the magnetic field produced by the field winding.

3. Find the number of poles for a 1200 kW separately excited DC generator if the average voltage between commutator segments is 15 V and the armature ampere turns per pole on full load is 10000. The generator has single turn coil and is lap connected. Ignore all losses.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Electric Machinery fundamentals by Chapman should suffice for problems like these. I am currently using this textbook for ac machines, but previously I had used it for dc machines.

Thanks, will go through the book.

1. What is a DC generator?

A DC generator is an electrical device that converts mechanical energy into direct current (DC) electrical energy. It works on the principle of Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, where the rotational motion of a conductor in a magnetic field produces a DC voltage.

2. What is the purpose of a DC generator?

The main purpose of a DC generator is to provide a source of direct current for various electrical applications. It is commonly used in power plants, automobiles, and portable generators to produce electricity. It is also used in experiments and demonstrations in physics and engineering studies.

3. How does a DC generator work?

A DC generator has two main parts - the stator (stationary) and the rotor (rotating). The stator consists of a permanent magnet or electromagnet, while the rotor consists of a set of conductors that rotate in a magnetic field. When the rotor rotates, it cuts the magnetic field lines, inducing a voltage in the conductors, which is then collected by carbon brushes and converted into DC electricity.

4. What are the types of DC generators?

There are two main types of DC generators - separately excited and self-excited. In separately excited generators, the field winding is supplied by a separate DC source, while in self-excited generators, the field winding is connected to the output of the generator. Self-excited generators are further classified into shunt, series, and compound generators, depending on the way the field winding is connected to the armature winding.

5. How do I choose a reference book for DC generators?

When choosing a reference book for DC generators, look for one that covers the fundamentals of electromagnetic induction, the working principles of DC generators, and their applications. It should also include diagrams, illustrations, and real-world examples to help you understand the concepts better. Additionally, make sure the book is up-to-date and written by a reputable author or published by a reliable source.