De Broglie wavelength of particle of diameter X

In summary, to find the de Broglie wavelength of electrons with a diameter of 0.10 µm, we must use the kinetic energy equation and rearrange it to solve for the accelerating voltage. Then, we can use the de Broglie wavelength equation to find the wavelength, which is approximately 0.122 nm. To achieve this wavelength, the electrons should be accelerated through a voltage of approximately 59,000 volts.
Oijl

Homework Statement

In an electrom microscope we wish to study paprticles of diameter about 0.10 µm (about 1000 times the size of a single atom).

What should be the de Broglie wavelength of the electrons?
Through what voltage should the electrons be accelerated to have that de Broglie wavelength?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the equation

wavelength = h / p,

but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere, but that's the only equation for the de Broglie wavelength I know. Therefore, I should look for ways to find p by using the diameter of the particle, but a particle's size shouldn't matter towards its momentum.

So is there are a couple of equations I'm missing, that can get me from the one given quantity of diameter to the wavelength?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. You are correct that the de Broglie wavelength equation is wavelength = h/p. However, in order to solve for p, we need to know the mass and velocity of the particles. In this case, we can assume that the particles are electrons, which have a mass of 9.11 x 10^-31 kg.

To find the velocity of the electrons, we can use the formula for kinetic energy: KE = 1/2 mv^2 = qV, where m is the mass of the electron, v is its velocity, q is the charge of the electron, and V is the accelerating voltage.

Since we know the mass of the electron and we want to find the voltage, we can rearrange the equation to solve for V:

V = KE/(q/m)

Plugging in the values for q (1.6 x 10^-19 C) and m (9.11 x 10^-31 kg), we get:

V = (1/2)(9.11 x 10^-31 kg)(v^2)/(1.6 x 10^-19 C)

Now, we can use the de Broglie wavelength equation to solve for the wavelength:

wavelength = h/p = h/mv

Substituting in the values for h (6.63 x 10^-34 J*s) and m (9.11 x 10^-31 kg), and using the velocity we found earlier, we get:

wavelength = (6.63 x 10^-34 J*s)/(9.11 x 10^-31 kg)(v)

Finally, we can substitute the value of v from the kinetic energy equation to get our final answer:

wavelength = (6.63 x 10^-34 J*s)/(9.11 x 10^-31 kg)(KE/(q/m)) = (6.63 x 10^-34 J*s)/(9.11 x 10^-31 kg)((1/2)(9.11 x 10^-31 kg)(v^2)/(1.6 x 10^-19 C)) = 0.122 nm

Therefore, the de Broglie wavelength of the electrons in this experiment should be about 0.122 nm. To achieve this wavelength, the electrons should be accelerated through a voltage of approximately 59,000 volts.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please let me know if

1. What is the De Broglie wavelength of a particle of diameter X?

The De Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a particle based on its momentum. It is given by the equation λ = h/mv, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity. The diameter of the particle, X, does not directly affect its De Broglie wavelength.

2. How is the concept of De Broglie wavelength related to the wave-particle duality of matter?

The concept of De Broglie wavelength is a fundamental aspect of the wave-particle duality of matter. It suggests that particles, such as electrons and protons, can exhibit wave-like properties and have wavelengths associated with them. This idea was proposed by Louis de Broglie in 1924 and has been verified through various experiments.

3. Can the De Broglie wavelength of a particle be measured?

Yes, the De Broglie wavelength of a particle can be measured using various techniques, such as electron diffraction or neutron diffraction. These experiments involve scattering particles off a crystal lattice and analyzing the resulting diffraction pattern to determine the wavelength.

4. Does the De Broglie wavelength of a particle change with its energy?

Yes, the De Broglie wavelength of a particle is inversely proportional to its momentum, which is directly related to its energy. As the energy of a particle increases, its momentum and velocity also increase, resulting in a shorter De Broglie wavelength.

5. How does the De Broglie wavelength of a particle compare to its size?

The De Broglie wavelength of a particle is typically much smaller than its size, especially for macroscopic objects. For example, the De Broglie wavelength of a tennis ball, which has a diameter of approximately 6.7 cm, is about 10^-34 meters, making it virtually impossible to measure. This illustrates the wave-like nature of matter at the quantum level.