Decreasing grain size with element addition

In summary: The addition of elements (particularly of higher atomic number) can disrupt the metal's crystal structure, allowing for a greater range of possible particle sizes.
scott_alexsk
Hello,

I have found that in some processing cases that additional elements are added to metals which result in increased potential for smaller grain size. Does anyone know why this is so? Am I signiificantly misunderstanding the issue?

Thanks,
-scott

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's possible if an element forms an intermetallic compound with a melting temperature higher than the predominant solute, e.g. silicides, and I think oxides as well. The compounds with higher melting temperatures precipitate first and form nucleation sites for grains.

Or is there an effect on solidification kinetics? Cooling/quench rate is also a factor.

Hot and cold working with annealing can produce smaller grains, but that is because dislocation bands form new grain boundaries.

Last edited:
Have you never heard of the marbles effect? This concerns itself with the most efficient packing efficiencies and the lowest energy states associated with them. I'm a Chem Eng and this comes into that in a major way in gas behaviour.
Basically most things on an atomic scale "want" (to anathropamise) to achieve the lowest energy state. In the case of metals this is a pure crystal. But the way in which metals cool and solidify of course introduces defects and gives strength to the multiple crystals formed (the annealing process, I was never that good at metalurgy).
Adding atoms of a different "diameter" can prevent or enhance this crystalisation process making metals more malleable, brittle or ductile.
I hope this helps.

actually the thing is like when you add alloying elements to the metals the structure becomes more finer due to which there will be more potential.this is what i have studied in physical metallurgy,as i am presently pursuing my b.tech in metallurgy and material technology.
if you have an idea about TTT diagram and Iron-carbon diagram,i think you will get your answer.for reference: Physical metallurgy textbook by Sidney.H.Avner.

Well as I think I was trying to say my backgrond is in gas but I think the basic thermdynamic principles can apply to metallurgy as well. Take for example 2,2 dimethyl propane. The molecule is basiclly a tetrahedron and it packs more efficiently than methyl butane or normal pentane itself; this is shown by the density of such gases at almost all pressures and temperatures.

Alloying affects the metal chemistry certainly, but it is the presence of different phases with different solubilities, or more precisely different precipitation temperatures, which affects the nucleation of grains during the solidification process.

Quench rates affect the kinetics. Slow quenching allows for larger grains.

Subsequent thermo-mechanical processing, e.g. hot work vs cold work, and annealing temperatures affect grain size.

Metals seldom exist in their lowest energy state, which is one factor that contributes to their corrosion susceptibility. Chemically, metals prefer to form oxides or other compounds with a variety of anions.

1. How does adding elements affect grain size in metals?

When elements are added to a metal, they can interact with the metal's crystal structure and affect the size of the grains that make up the metal. This is due to a phenomenon called solute drag, where the added elements can hinder the movement and growth of the grains, resulting in smaller grain sizes.

2. Which elements are commonly used to decrease grain size in metals?

Elements such as carbon, nitrogen, and boron are commonly used to decrease grain size in metals. These elements have a strong affinity for iron, and when added to iron-based metals, they can form compounds that inhibit grain growth and promote smaller grain sizes.

3. Why is decreasing grain size important in materials science?

Decreasing grain size in metals can improve their mechanical properties, such as strength and toughness. Smaller grain sizes also allow for a more uniform microstructure, which can result in better performance and reliability of the material.

4. What techniques are used to add elements and decrease grain size in metals?

There are various techniques used to add elements and decrease grain size in metals, such as alloying, powder metallurgy, and surface treatments. These methods involve introducing the desired elements into the metal in different forms, such as powder, liquid, or gas, and controlling the cooling and solidification process to achieve smaller grains.

5. Are there any drawbacks to decreasing grain size with element addition?

While decreasing grain size can improve the properties of a metal, there can also be some drawbacks. For example, adding certain elements can increase the cost of production, and the process of achieving smaller grains can be complex and time-consuming. Additionally, in some cases, excessively small grain sizes can lead to reduced ductility and toughness of the metal.