1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite Double Integral of a single variable

1. Aug 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't actually homework. I was messing around in my notebook trying something when I ended up writing something to the effect of this:

[itex] dT = \frac{V^{2}}{R(1+α dT)}dQ[/itex]
    [itex]R(1+α dT) dT = V^{2}dQ[/itex]
    Where α and V are constants.

Now, I'm fairly sure what I had done made no sense physical and I screwed up, which is fine, but as I wrote this, I realized something: I'm not sure how to solve this, or if this is even a valid equation

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I tried integrating with a naive and hopeful glimmer in my eye:
    [itex]RΔT+\frac{a}{2}ΔT^{2}= V^{2}Q[/itex]

Where [itex]ΔT=T_{2}-T_{1}[/itex]
    You see, I'm interested in a definite integral, I'm interested in the change between [itex]T_{1}[/itex] and [itex]T_{2}[/itex].

Now, I'm pretty sure this is wrong enough to make someone cry, so I'll just leave it at that as ask where I went wrong and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2014 #2
    Having no reference for what the constants ##\alpha## and ##V## and the variables (?) ##Q##, ##R##, and ##T## are intended to represent, there is no reason why the equation $$\Delta T = \frac{V^{2}}{R(1+α \Delta T)} \Delta Q$$ or its "differential brother" $$dT = \frac{V^{2}}{R(1+α dT)}dQ$$ can't model some physical system.

If your end goal it to integrate something (and it looks like it is) then the hand-waver would look at $$RdT+\alpha R dT^2=V^2 dQ$$ and say something along the lines of,

The key reason why the "negligible term" business works is because, in the case where ##f## is an integrable function, we have

$$
    \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^n\left(f(x_i)(\Delta x)^2\right)
    =\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(\Delta x\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x\right)
    =\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x
    =0\cdot\int_a^bf(x)\ dx=0$$ for ##\Delta x=\frac{b-a}{n}## a regular partition.

4. Aug 19, 2014 #3
    Thanks. But, I'm not really interested in handing waving the odd term away. I'm interested in how I'd actually solve the equation exactly.

5. Aug 19, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What gopher_p did is NOT "hand waving" he showed why [itex]\int\int dx dx= 0 [/itex] for any variable x.

6. Aug 19, 2014 #5
    Sorry, I miss-read it. That said, there are two things I do not understand:
    In the following:
    $$
    \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^n\left(f(x_i)(\Delta x)^2\right)
    =\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(\Delta x\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x\right)
    =\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x
    =0\cdot\int_a^bf(x)\ dx=0$$ for ##\Delta x=\frac{b-a}{n}## a regular partition

Why does ΔX come out of the sum? Why can I write
    [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x[/itex]

I can't write [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x^{2}\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)[/itex] can I?

And secondly, wouldn't [itex]\int\int dx dx= \frac{1}{2}x^{2}? [/itex]

7. Aug 19, 2014 #6
    If you have a regular partition, the ##\Delta x## is constant with respect to the sum; ##\frac{b-a}{n}## is independent of ##i##.

You can write it the second way, but that doesn't help you evaluate the limit. It's likely that ##\sum\limits_{i=1}^nf(x_i)## is not a convergent sequence.

8. Aug 19, 2014 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

If ##\Delta x = \frac{b-a}{n}##, then as ##n → ∞##, ##\Delta x → 0##.

Notice ##\Delta x## is independent of the summation index ##i##, and can therefore be pulled outside of the sum.

The other part is a Riemann sum, which converges to an integral:

$$=(\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x) (\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x)
    =0\cdot\int_a^bf(x)\ dx=0$$

More to the point though, without knowing what ##T## is exactly, the problem hasn't been stated clearly.

9. Aug 19, 2014 #8
    T is an independent variable of the system in question. Actually, the equation was dependent on the change in T, ΔT, not T itself, which is why the integral was definite.

And thanks for clearing everything up everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted