Definite Integral Misunderstood

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of definite integrals, antiderivatives, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The group also discusses the process of finding the area under a curve, either by evaluating the antiderivative or using geometry. There is also confusion about the equality of the areas under the graph of a function and its antiderivative.
Saladsamurai
Okay, so I went a little ahead in my text and I am having alittle trouble deciphering something. To make it easy, I will provide an example/question.

If I see the following problem: [tex]\int_2^42xdx[/tex], does it mean

a.) Evaluate the line y=2x between 2 and 4 to get area=4.

or

b.) Antidifferentiate and evaluate the curve [tex]x^2[/tex] from 2 to 4 to get area=12.

C.) Neither.

Thank you,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
If by a) you mean the area under the line y=2x between 2 and 4 then it means both. Except you got the answer to a) wrong. It's a trapezoid. The answer is also 12.

Okay...let me try this again in different words...I was trying to avoid an extremely wordy explanation, but here goes.

if you see this [tex]\int_a^b xdx[/tex] ...what do you do?

Casey

I find an antiderivative to x, which is x^2/2 and hence conclude the answer is b^2/2-a^2/2. What do YOU do?

Saladsamurai said:
Okay...let me try this again in different words...I was trying to avoid an extremely wordy explanation, but here goes.

if you see this [tex]\int_a^b xdx[/tex] ...what do you do?

Casey

The Fundamental Theorem of (Integral) Calculus says you would antidifferentiate x to get (1/2)(x^2) and then take the difference (1/2)(4^2) - (1/2)(2^2). It applies to any definite integral of f(x), *provided* the function is continuous on the interval between your integration limits. If the antiderivative (or integral) function of f(x) is F(x), then the definite integral from a to b is F(b)-F(a).

You'll learn somewhat later what to do if the function f(x) is *not* continuous...

Dick said:
If by a) you mean the area under the line y=2x between 2 and 4 then it means both. Except you got the answer to a) wrong. It's a trapezoid. The answer is also 12.

The answer is 12 for both...okay...I see where my error was.

Is that coincidence or are a function and its 1st derivative's areas under the same bounds supposed to be equal?! I don't think they are.

i.e, x from [0,3} =3 and its antiderivative x^2/2 from [0,3] = 9/2

I am more confused now. Can someone answer post #3 for me:confused:

Thanks,
Casey

Edit: I am too slow! Thanks dynamicsolo.SO is this correct to say:

[tex]\int_a^bxdx=(.5b^2)-(.5a^2)[/tex] =the area under the graph of y=x.<---or is it the area under .5x^2 from [a,b]? AHHH!

Edit again: I saw your post Dick. Thanks. I would stare at it for awhile and then go kick something...because the way I thought you did it was to evaluate .5x^2 from a to b ...however, my text appears to be doing something funny...maybe I am reading it wrong.

Last edited:
You are indeed royally confused. If F(x) is an antiderivative of f(x), then F(b)-F(a) is the area under the curve of f(x) between a and b. This is NOT equal to f(b)-f(a). And the area under F(x) is not equal to the area under f(x). It's only the first statement that is true. None of the others.

In reply:

[tex]\int_a^bxdx=(.5b^2)-(.5a^2)[/tex] =the area under the graph of y=x.

Dick said:
You are indeed royally confused. If F(x) is an antiderivative of f(x), then F(b)-F(a) is the area under the curve of f(x) between a and b. This is NOT equal to f(b)-f(a). And the area under F(x) is not equal to the area under f(x). It's only the first statement that is true. None of the others.

Okay. This is what I thought, so I was not confused by the Definite Integral, I must be confused by my textbook instructions.

Here is the problem exactly as stated.

Sketch the region whose signed area is represented by the definite integrand, and evaluate the inegral using an appropriate formula from geometry, where needed.

[tex]\int_0^3 xdx[/tex]

Ohhh @#$%...I get it. I can draw y=x and use .5(bh) to find the area of the triangle=9/2...OR...evaluate the antiderivative .5x^2 from [0,3] to get the same answer.

Casey

Yessssssssssssssssss.

Dick said:
Yessssssssssssssssss.

NOoooooooooooo.

Just kidding. Yes.

Don't scare me, I'm the sssssnake. I thought I was losing you again.

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used in calculus to calculate the total change in a particular quantity over a given interval.

How is a definite integral different from an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral only calculates the antiderivative of a function, while a definite integral calculates the actual numerical value of the area under the curve between two specific points. In other words, a definite integral gives a specific number, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

What are the limits of integration in a definite integral?

The limits of integration are the two points on the graph between which the area is being calculated. These points are represented by the variables a and b in the notation ∫f(x) dx from a to b. The value of the definite integral will change depending on the limits of integration.

How is the area under the curve calculated in a definite integral?

The area under the curve is calculated by dividing the interval between the two limits of integration into small sections, finding the area of each section using the function, and then adding all of the areas together. This process is known as Riemann sum.

What are some real-life applications of definite integrals?

Definite integrals have many applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include calculating the displacement of an object, finding the work done by a force, determining profit or loss in business, and estimating population growth. They are also used to model real-life scenarios and make predictions.