Understanding Free Electrons: Movement and Interaction with Nonconductors

In summary: Static electricity is caused by an excess of electrons on one side of a capacitor (or any other object with a negative charge), and sparks between the two objects cause the release of these electrons.
ggandy
Can we call it free electron that moves between nonconductor by friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
ggandy said:
Can we call it free electron that moves between nonconductor by friction?

This is so puzzling, it is making no sense.

1. Is a "nonconductor" an insulator?

2. What exactly is "friction" for an electron in a solid?

3. Why can't a "free electron" be an electron in zero potential? Why is that definition not sufficient?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is so puzzling, it is making no sense.

1. Is a "nonconductor" an insulator?

2. What exactly is "friction" for an electron in a solid?

3. Why can't a "free electron" be an electron in zero potential? Why is that definition not sufficient?

Zz.
1. noncoductor. for example a fur, a ebonite bar

2. between a fur and a ebonite bar

3. I'm sorry about that is not sufficient. Maybe it cause my english level is not high. I'm a Korean science teacher in the middle school.

In our country, In general we teach free elctrons exist only in metal materials. but today my students asked me why we can't call it free electron that moves between a fur and a ebonite bar. and he asked me " Isn't it free?"

so I need a help.

ggandy said:

3. I'm sorry about that is not sufficient. Maybe it cause my english level is not high. I'm a Korean science teacher in the middle school.

In our country, In general we teach free elctrons exist only in metal materials. but today my students asked me why we can't call it free electron that moves between a fur and a ebonite bar. and he asked me " Isn't it free?"

so I need a help.

Then we definitely have communication/language issues.

If what I'm guessing is correct, you are talking about static electricity and the "spark" that occurs between two surfaces. Tell your students that this spark is NOT "free electrons". Rather, it is a complex process of electrons ionizing gasses/air molecules, etc.

Tell your students that free electrons are electrons moving in a constant potential energy. The electrons in a conductor are APPROXIMATELY free, because they are moving in a weak periodic potential that sometime can be approximated as being free.

There is no "friction" in the motion of electrons here, unless you are talking about scattering.

Zz.

ggandy said:

so I need a help.
Should I call it a bound electron?

ZapperZ said:
Then we definitely have communication/language issues.

If what I'm guessing is correct, you are talking about static electricity and the "spark" that occurs between two surfaces. Tell your students that this spark is NOT "free electrons". Rather, it is a complex process of electrons ionizing gasses/air molecules, etc.

Tell your students that free electrons are electrons moving in a constant potential energy. The electrons in a conductor are APPROXIMATELY free, because they are moving in a weak periodic potential that sometime can be approximated as being free.

There is no "friction" in the motion of electrons here, unless you are talking about scattering.

Zz.
http://cafe.naver.com/ggandyscience3/3169
The "friction" in my question is the process between two objects like the linked movie.
then could I call it an electron of complex process?
I'm absolutely thanks for your sepcific explanation. thank you.

I don't think we're communicating, and a movie in Korean is not helping.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is the definition of a free electron?

A free electron is an electron that is not bound to any specific atom or molecule and is therefore able to move freely within a material or space.

2. How is a free electron different from a bound electron?

A bound electron is an electron that is attached to a specific atom or molecule and is not able to move freely. It is also sometimes referred to as a valence electron.

3. What causes an electron to become free?

Electrons can become free through a process called ionization, where they gain enough energy to break away from the atom or molecule that they were previously bound to.

4. Can free electrons be found in all materials?

Yes, free electrons can be found in all materials, although the abundance and mobility of free electrons may vary depending on the material's composition and properties.

5. How are free electrons important in electrical conductivity?

Free electrons play a crucial role in electrical conductivity, as they are responsible for carrying electric charge through materials. Materials with a high number of free electrons, such as metals, are good conductors of electricity.