Calculating Demagnetization Factor: N for Simple Geometries

• Thread starter sniffer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for assistance in understanding how to calculate demagnetization factor N for simple geometries, specifically long cylinders and thin films. They also inquire about the cause of demagnetization and why the sum of demagnetization factors in all three axes is always unity. They mention a publication by Compter and van der Veen as a potential resource for understanding the topic.
sniffer
i have little questions which make me banging my head against the wall over the last few days.

now, before too many walls collapsed:yuck: :

1. can anyone direct me to an easy reference which explain how to calculate demagnetization factor N for simple geometries (such as long cylinder, thin films, etc). remember, a simple one! not ellipsoids!

2. i believe demagnetization arises because of the boundary effect. is this correct? to be exact, how? i thought this is because at the boundary (if we talk about a cylindrical magnet with magnetization along its axis) the dipole moment there does not have a pair. is this correct? can anyone explain in cleaner way?

3. and why the sum of demagnetization factor in all 3 axes is always unity? or is it?

for those who attempt good response, i would thank very much.
especially gokul43201 who responded my few questions in the past. thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look in my publication in Magnet analysis with a Helmholz coil set
Compter, J.C. van der Veen, J.L.F.
Page(s): 177 - 182
Digital Object Identifier : 10.1049/ip-smt:20030495

Abstract | Full Text: PDF (400KB)

1. What is the purpose of calculating the demagnetization factor?

The demagnetization factor, also known as the N factor, is used to quantify the effect of shape on the magnetization of a material. It is an important parameter in magnetism and is used to understand and predict the behavior of magnetic materials in different geometries.

2. How is the demagnetization factor calculated for simple geometries?

The demagnetization factor for simple geometries, such as a sphere, cylinder, or cube, can be calculated using specific equations based on the dimensions of the object. These equations take into account the shape and size of the object to determine the demagnetization factor.

3. What are the units of the demagnetization factor?

The demagnetization factor is a dimensionless quantity and therefore has no units. It is simply a ratio of the magnetization of a material in a specific geometry to the magnetization of the same material in an infinitely long and thin shape.

4. How does the demagnetization factor affect the magnetic properties of a material?

The demagnetization factor plays a critical role in determining the magnetization and magnetic behavior of a material. A higher demagnetization factor means that the material is more susceptible to demagnetization, while a lower factor means that the material is more resistant to demagnetization.

5. Can the demagnetization factor be negative?

Yes, the demagnetization factor can be negative. This occurs when the shape of the object causes the magnetic moments to align in a way that reduces the overall magnetization of the material. This is often seen in thin, elongated objects such as needles or thin strips.