1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dentist Chair

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A dentist's chair of mass 207kg is supported by a hydraulic lift having a large piston of cross-sectional area 1403.0cm^2. The dentist has a foot pedal attached to a small piston of cross-sectional area 78.0cm^2. What force must be applied to the small piston to raise the chair.

2. Relevant equations
    P=F/A
    Fp/Ap = Fc/Ac

3. The attempt at a solution
    Fp = Fc/Ac * Ap
    Fp = 207kg/1403 * 78 = 112.78

Okay so I have already gotten the answer 112.78N but I don't understand a few things about this question...
    - Why does Fp/Ap = Fc/Ac??
    - Why is 207kg relate to 1403cm^2?
    - What is the subscripts p and c???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Suggestion in your calculations when you said...
    F=mg...so the force should be the weight..so you have to multiply by 9.81Nkg^-1 or whatever value you take as g and convert the cm^2 to m^2

"Why does Fp/Ap = Fc/Ac??"

Does this not mean that [itex]P_p=P_c[/itex] which just basically says that pressure is transmitted equally throughout a fluid...i.e. the pressure at one end is equal to the pressure at the other.

the subscripts p and c would be piston and chair respectively

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?