Dependent Voltage Source KCL question

In summary, a dependent voltage source is a type of voltage source controlled by an external parameter, such as current or voltage in another part of the circuit. Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit must equal zero. This is applied to circuits with dependent voltage sources by considering the current through the dependent source as one of the currents. KCL is used in circuit analysis to determine unknown currents by creating a system of equations. KCL cannot be violated in a circuit with dependent voltage sources, and any violation indicates an error in the analysis.
sdusheyko
I'm having trouble figuring out the KCL portion of this problem.

I have no idea how in the world the solution does from;

(2-v)/20 = (Vx-2Vx)/8 - (Vx-8)/4

to;

17V - 18Vx = 84

it doesn't seem to make sense; but neither does my solution. i think I'm missing some concept here but cannot put my figure on it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• circs.bmp
    297.2 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
By eyeballing it, I'd say the solutions manual probably multiplied the entire equation by some constant to make all the fractions go away.

1. What is a dependent voltage source in electrical circuits?

A dependent voltage source is a type of voltage source that is controlled by an external parameter, such as the current or voltage in another part of the circuit. It can either be a voltage-controlled voltage source (VCVS) or a current-controlled voltage source (CCVS).

2. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL)?

Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) states that the algebraic sum of all currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit must equal zero. This means that the sum of all currents flowing into a node must be equal to the sum of all currents flowing out of the node.

3. How is KCL applied to circuits with dependent voltage sources?

When applying KCL to circuits with dependent voltage sources, the current through the dependent source is considered as one of the currents entering or leaving the node. The value of the dependent voltage source is then represented as a function of the current in the other part of the circuit.

4. What is the purpose of using KCL in circuit analysis?

KCL is used in circuit analysis to determine the unknown currents in a circuit. By applying KCL at different nodes in the circuit, we can create a system of equations that can be solved to find the values of the unknown currents.

5. Can KCL be violated in a circuit with dependent voltage sources?

No, KCL cannot be violated in a circuit with dependent voltage sources. The sum of all currents entering and leaving a node must still equal zero, even when considering the current through a dependent voltage source. If the calculations result in a violation of KCL, it indicates an error in the circuit analysis.