Derivation of equation for catenary

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion about the derivation of the catenary equation, specifically regarding the use of the chain rule and derivative of x' and y'. The conversation also highlights the difference between s and \sqrt{{x'}^2 + {y'}^2} in this context.
demonelite123
I am a bit confused on one part of the derivation of the catenary equation. At one point my book says ds2 = dx2 + dy2 and thus [itex] \frac{ds}{dx}=\sqrt{1 + {y'}^2} [/itex].

however that doesn't seem very rigorous to me and i am a little wary of accepting that explanation. i know that [itex] s = \sqrt{{x'}^2 + {y'}^2} [/itex] so i tried to take the derivative of this with respect to x in order to hopefully obtain the same thing as above. so from the chain rule i have [itex] \frac{1}{2\sqrt{{x'}^2 + {y'}^2}} [/itex] and now i have to take the derivative of (x'2 + y'2) with respect to x and here is where i am having trouble.

i have [itex] \frac{d}{dx}{x'}^2 = 2x' \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} = 2x' \frac{d}{dt}\frac{dx}{dx} = 0 [/itex]. then i have [itex] \frac{d}{dx}{y'}^2 = 2y' \frac{d}{dt}\frac{dy}{dx} = 2y'y''x' [/itex] which does not seem right to me. it seems like this way should work but i am just confusing the chain rule in this last portion. can someone help straighten this out? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
demonelite123 said:
I am a bit confused on one part of the derivation of the catenary equation. At one point my book says ds2 = dx2 + dy2 and thus [itex] \frac{ds}{dx}=\sqrt{1 + {y'}^2} [/itex]. [...] i know that [itex] s = \sqrt{{x'}^2 + {y'}^2} [/itex]

If you are given [itex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/itex], then [itex] s \neq \sqrt{{x'}^2 + {y'}^2} [/itex].

Take [itex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/itex], divide it by [itex]dx^2[/itex] and then simplify. (hint: [itex]\frac{dx}{dx} = x' = 1[/itex])

1. What is a catenary?

A catenary is a curve that is formed by a chain or cable hanging freely between two fixed points, under the force of its own weight.

2. Who derived the equation for the catenary?

The equation for the catenary was derived by Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli in the early 18th century.

3. What is the equation for the catenary?

The equation for the catenary is y = a*cosh(x/a), where y is the vertical coordinate, x is the horizontal coordinate, and a is a constant.

4. How is the catenary equation derived?

The catenary equation is derived using the principles of calculus and the concept of a hanging chain in equilibrium. It involves finding the minimum potential energy of the chain to determine its shape.

5. Where is the catenary curve commonly seen or used?

The catenary curve can be seen in many real-life applications, such as suspension bridges, arches, and even in the shape of a hanging chain or cable. It is also used in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics to model various structures and systems.