Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of equation for catenary

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    I am a bit confused on one part of the derivation of the catenary equation. At one point my book says ds2 = dx2 + dy2 and thus [itex] \frac{ds}{dx}=\sqrt{1 + {y'}^2} [/itex].

however that doesn't seem very rigorous to me and i am a little wary of accepting that explanation. i know that [itex] s = \sqrt{{x'}^2 + {y'}^2} [/itex] so i tried to take the derivative of this with respect to x in order to hopefully obtain the same thing as above. so from the chain rule i have [itex] \frac{1}{2\sqrt{{x'}^2 + {y'}^2}} [/itex] and now i have to take the derivative of (x'2 + y'2) with respect to x and here is where i am having trouble.

i have [itex] \frac{d}{dx}{x'}^2 = 2x' \frac{d}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} = 2x' \frac{d}{dt}\frac{dx}{dx} = 0 [/itex]. then i have [itex] \frac{d}{dx}{y'}^2 = 2y' \frac{d}{dt}\frac{dy}{dx} = 2y'y''x' [/itex] which does not seem right to me. it seems like this way should work but i am just confusing the chain rule in this last portion. can someone help straighten this out? thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    If you are given [itex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/itex], then [itex] s \neq \sqrt{{x'}^2 + {y'}^2} [/itex].

Take [itex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/itex], divide it by [itex]dx^2[/itex] and then simplify. (hint: [itex]\frac{dx}{dx} = x' = 1[/itex])

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook