Understanding the Derivative of ln^2: Integration by Parts

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with an integration by parts question and seeking help on how to evaluate the integral by using integration by parts two times. The conversation also includes a discussion on whether the substitution method is necessary and a suggestion to use a different approach for the integration by parts.
a1ccook

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand how they got du in this problem. It is an integration by parts question. Anyway, the question asks me to evaluation this integral by using integration by parts two times
Screen shot 2010-04-18 at 1.56.22 PM.png

Homework Equations

Screen shot 2010-04-18 at 2.06.04 PM.png

This is how we would solve the problem...

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first step.
Screen shot 2010-04-18 at 1.55.51 PM.png

The solution to the entire problem isn't what I need. I'll be able to get that after I figure out how they got du. I just need to see how you get du.

What it looks like they did was just go 2*(ln x^21)*(1/x)*(21x^2)
This isn't equal to the answer, though. Any ideas? No need to rush on this. The assignment is done, I just got monumentally frustrated with this one.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
you suppose to get

[tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex] = 42(ln x21)x20

Is the substitution really necessary, I mean, is it part of what you're being taught right now and must use it?

Because I find the following way to be more straightforward. Use integration by parts two times via this formula: [itex]\int f'(x)g(x)dx = f(x)g(x) - \int f(x)g'(x)dx[/itex]

by doing the following: [itex]\int ln^2(x^{21})dx=\int (x)'ln^2(x^{21})dx=xln^2(x^{21}) - \int x(ln^2(x^{21}))'dx...[/itex]

but that what we learn at school, the substitution is merely to make student more understand i guess. But ones you get it, you don't need those substitution.

annoymage said:
you suppose to get

[tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex] = 42(ln x21)x20
Wrong. Look at the attachment to the original post. The correct answer is right there.So, to help with the original post.
a1ccook said:
[Anyway, the question asks me to evaluation this integral by using integration by parts two times
Did you do that?

This is the first step.
They gave you part of the first step. In particular, the attachment tells you exactly what to use how to express that integral in the form of [itex]\int u dv[/itex] needed for application of the integration by parts. Then it tells you what [itex]du[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] are given that assignment. It does not perform the actual integration by parts, that is up to you. Then, as suggested, you should integrate by parts again, obviously with a different choice for u and dv this second step.

owho, sorry, i missed to differentiate something, hoho, sorry sorry

1. What is the derivative of ln²x?

The derivative of ln²x is 2/x.

2. Can the power rule be used to find the derivative of ln²x?

Yes, the power rule can be used to find the derivative of ln²x. The power rule states that the derivative of xⁿ is n*xⁿ⁻¹.

3. What is the general formula for finding the derivative of ln²x?

The general formula for finding the derivative of ln²x is (1/x)*2lnx.

4. How can the chain rule be applied to find the derivative of ln²x?

The chain rule can be applied to find the derivative of ln²x by first recognizing that ln²x can be rewritten as (lnx)². Then, using the chain rule, the derivative becomes 2(lnx)*(1/x).

5. Is the derivative of ln²x the same as the derivative of ln x²?

No, the derivative of ln²x is 2/x while the derivative of ln x² is 2x/x² = 2/x. The order of operations matters when finding derivatives, so it is important to be careful when differentiating functions.