1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of Newton's Law of Gravitation

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Newton's Law of Gravitation says that the magnitude (F) of the force exerted by a body of mass (m) on a body of mass (M) is

F = (GmM)/(r^2)

where G is the gravitational constant and r is the distance between the bodies.

Find dF/dr and explain it's meaning. What does the minus sign indicate?

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution

using implicit differentiation:
    dF/dr = d/dr [(GmM)/r^2]
    = [(r^2)d/dr(GmM) - (GmM)d/dr(r^2)] / (r^4)
    = [(r^2)G(d/dr(mM)) - (2rGmM)] / (r^4)
    = [(r^2)G(m * dM/dr + M * dm/dr) - 2rGmM] / (r^4)

Ok, I know this can be simplified, but that seemed even more convoluted when I did that. I'm really not sure what to do from here. I expected the derivative to be something a little more intuitive and to result in a negative expression based on the question. I would expect dF/dr to equal a negative expression and the significance of the minus sign to be indicative of a force of attraction since the derivative is with respect to distance and the distance is decreasing. Please help me with the derivative, because If I can get that right, then I just need to express what's going on in words.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Bear_B! :wink:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    ooh, so complicated! :cry: no, m and M are constants.

Try again. :smile:

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3
    Ok, I had seen that result worked out elsewhere when I couldn't get on here. Can you please tell me why m and M are constants? I thought the equation to determine the gravitational force was for an unknown mass m and an unknown mass M at a unknown distance r from each other...knowing that m and M are constants makes the differentiation simple, I just want to understand why I am treating m and M as constants. Thanks

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4
    F = GmM/r2
    dF/dr = GmM [ d/dr (r-2)]
    = GmM (-2r-3)
    = GmM (-2/r3)
    dF/dr = -2GmM / r3

ok, so here is the answer, but why are m and M constants?

6. Mar 21, 2010 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because they have nothing to do with r. They are masses.

7. Mar 22, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Bear_B! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

Yes, m and M are variables just like r,

but they are independent variables (they can be varied separately, without affecting the others).

So when the question asks "Find dF/dr", it means differentiate with respect to r, keeping all other variables constant. :smile:

8. Mar 22, 2010 #7
    Thanks. Now I understand the concept that the Force (F) is being taken with respect to distance (r) determining the rate of change of F as r changes for two objects with mass m and M. Since dF/dr is asking how F changes when r changes it has to assume that the m and M are constants unless otherwise indicated. I think I get it now. I just wanted a conceptual understanding of the problem beyond how to do the problem mechanically (because that is the easy part).

^^ This is my (basic) understanding of why the derivative assumes m and M as constants when differentiating with respect to r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook