Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Derivative of Newton's Law of Gravitation

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Newton's Law of Gravitation says that the magnitude (F) of the force exerted by a body of mass (m) on a body of mass (M) is

F = (GmM)/(r^2)

where G is the gravitational constant and r is the distance between the bodies.

Find dF/dr and explain it's meaning. What does the minus sign indicate?

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution

using implicit differentiation:
    dF/dr = d/dr [(GmM)/r^2]
    = [(r^2)d/dr(GmM) - (GmM)d/dr(r^2)] / (r^4)
    = [(r^2)G(d/dr(mM)) - (2rGmM)] / (r^4)
    = [(r^2)G(m * dM/dr + M * dm/dr) - 2rGmM] / (r^4)

Ok, I know this can be simplified, but that seemed even more convoluted when I did that. I'm really not sure what to do from here. I expected the derivative to be something a little more intuitive and to result in a negative expression based on the question. I would expect dF/dr to equal a negative expression and the significance of the minus sign to be indicative of a force of attraction since the derivative is with respect to distance and the distance is decreasing. Please help me with the derivative, because If I can get that right, then I just need to express what's going on in words.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Bear_B! :wink:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    ooh, so complicated! :cry: no, m and M are constants.

Try again. :smile:

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3
    Ok, I had seen that result worked out elsewhere when I couldn't get on here. Can you please tell me why m and M are constants? I thought the equation to determine the gravitational force was for an unknown mass m and an unknown mass M at a unknown distance r from each other...knowing that m and M are constants makes the differentiation simple, I just want to understand why I am treating m and M as constants. Thanks

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4
    F = GmM/r2
    dF/dr = GmM [ d/dr (r-2)]
    = GmM (-2r-3)
    = GmM (-2/r3)
    dF/dr = -2GmM / r3

ok, so here is the answer, but why are m and M constants?

6. Mar 21, 2010 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because they have nothing to do with r. They are masses.

7. Mar 22, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Bear_B! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

Yes, m and M are variables just like r,

but they are independent variables (they can be varied separately, without affecting the others).

So when the question asks "Find dF/dr", it means differentiate with respect to r, keeping all other variables constant. :smile:

8. Mar 22, 2010 #7
    Thanks. Now I understand the concept that the Force (F) is being taken with respect to distance (r) determining the rate of change of F as r changes for two objects with mass m and M. Since dF/dr is asking how F changes when r changes it has to assume that the m and M are constants unless otherwise indicated. I think I get it now. I just wanted a conceptual understanding of the problem beyond how to do the problem mechanically (because that is the easy part).

^^ This is my (basic) understanding of why the derivative assumes m and M as constants when differentiating with respect to r.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook