1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of: y=arctan(4/x)

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    derivative of: y=arctan(4/x)!!!

This seems like it should be a very SIMPLE problem, but it has been bugging me for about 2 hours straight now, and I can't figure it out! Would really appreciate some quick help...

This is what I've done so far:

y'= -4/x^2 / (16/x^2 +1)

I dont know if this is the right answer??? And I am having problems simplifying this any further. Please help :P

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: derivative of: y=arctan(4/x)!!!

That's fine. Now use algebra. (a/b)/c=a/(b*c).

4. Jul 30, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes that is correct.But you can simply further by multiply both the numerator and denominator by x^2

EDIT: ahh beaten

5. Jul 30, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not a race. Good advice is best given in large quantities. I made that aphorism up just now. :)

6. Jul 30, 2008 #5

Ok great thanks,

Now for this next part, I guess the thing that is throwing me off is the +1 hanging off the denominator.

So, following these steps, I would come out with:

-4/16 + x^2

which I could then reduce further to:

-1/4+x^2

Would that make sense?

7. Jul 30, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should really review some algebra. Yes, to -4/(16+x^2). A big thumbs down to -1/4+x^2. They aren't at all the same, are they? And use more parentheses to group terms, ok?

8. Jul 30, 2008 #7

Yah, I think I do need some algebra review. That was a really simple error I just made, and this problem took me WAY too long to figure out.

Thanks alot for the quick responses...I just signed up for these forums, and hoped that I would be able to get a respone within the hour, but you sure beat that!

Regarding the question, -4/(16+x^2) has been reduced, and I will leave it like this, which I think is the correct answer. So thanks again guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?