What is the derivative of y=arctan(4/x)?

• Thread starter xxclaymanxx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the derivative of y=arctan(4/x) is -4/(16+x^2). To simplify further, you can multiply both the numerator and denominator by x^2, but be careful with parentheses to avoid mistakes. The final answer is -4/(16+x^2), not -1/4+x^2.
xxclaymanxx
derivative of: y=arctan(4/x)!

This seems like it should be a very SIMPLE problem, but it has been bugging me for about 2 hours straight now, and I can't figure it out! Would really appreciate some quick help...

This is what I've done so far:

y'= -4/x^2 / (16/x^2 +1)

I don't know if this is the right answer? And I am having problems simplifying this any further. Please help :P

Physics news on Phys.org

That's fine. Now use algebra. (a/b)/c=a/(b*c).

Yes that is correct.But you can simply further by multiply both the numerator and denominator by x^2

EDIT: ahh beaten

rock.freak667 said:
Yes that is correct.But you can simply further by multiply both the numerator and denominator by x^2

EDIT: ahh beaten

It's not a race. Good advice is best given in large quantities. I made that aphorism up just now. :)

Ok great thanks,

Now for this next part, I guess the thing that is throwing me off is the +1 hanging off the denominator.

So, following these steps, I would come out with:

-4/16 + x^2

which I could then reduce further to:

-1/4+x^2

Would that make sense?

You should really review some algebra. Yes, to -4/(16+x^2). A big thumbs down to -1/4+x^2. They aren't at all the same, are they? And use more parentheses to group terms, ok?

Yah, I think I do need some algebra review. That was a really simple error I just made, and this problem took me WAY too long to figure out.

Thanks a lot for the quick responses...I just signed up for these forums, and hoped that I would be able to get a respone within the hour, but you sure beat that!

Regarding the question, -4/(16+x^2) has been reduced, and I will leave it like this, which I think is the correct answer. So thanks again guys!

1. What is the derivative of y=arctan(4/x)?

The derivative of y=arctan(4/x) is given by the formula f'(x) = -4/(x^2 + 16).

2. How do you find the derivative of inverse trigonometric functions?

To find the derivative of inverse trigonometric functions, we use the chain rule and the derivative of the corresponding trigonometric function. In this case, since y=arctan(4/x), we use the derivative of arctan(u) = 1/(1+u^2) and substitute u=4/x.

3. Can you simplify the derivative of y=arctan(4/x)?

Yes, we can simplify the derivative of y=arctan(4/x) to -4/(x^2 + 16) by using algebraic manipulation and the trigonometric identity tan(arctan(u)) = u.

4. What is the domain of y=arctan(4/x)?

The domain of y=arctan(4/x) is all real numbers except x=0, since arctan(4/0) is undefined.

5. How can the derivative of y=arctan(4/x) be applied in real life?

The derivative of y=arctan(4/x) can be used in many applications such as calculating slopes, rates of change, and optimization problems. For example, it can be used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function or to determine the speed of an object at a given point in time.