Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Derivative of: y=arctan(4/x)

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    derivative of: y=arctan(4/x)!!!

This seems like it should be a very SIMPLE problem, but it has been bugging me for about 2 hours straight now, and I can't figure it out! Would really appreciate some quick help...

This is what I've done so far:

y'= -4/x^2 / (16/x^2 +1)

I dont know if this is the right answer??? And I am having problems simplifying this any further. Please help :P

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: derivative of: y=arctan(4/x)!!!

That's fine. Now use algebra. (a/b)/c=a/(b*c).

4. Jul 30, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes that is correct.But you can simply further by multiply both the numerator and denominator by x^2

EDIT: ahh beaten

5. Jul 30, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not a race. Good advice is best given in large quantities. I made that aphorism up just now. :)

6. Jul 30, 2008 #5

Ok great thanks,

Now for this next part, I guess the thing that is throwing me off is the +1 hanging off the denominator.

So, following these steps, I would come out with:

-4/16 + x^2

which I could then reduce further to:

-1/4+x^2

Would that make sense?

7. Jul 30, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should really review some algebra. Yes, to -4/(16+x^2). A big thumbs down to -1/4+x^2. They aren't at all the same, are they? And use more parentheses to group terms, ok?

8. Jul 30, 2008 #7

Yah, I think I do need some algebra review. That was a really simple error I just made, and this problem took me WAY too long to figure out.

Thanks alot for the quick responses...I just signed up for these forums, and hoped that I would be able to get a respone within the hour, but you sure beat that!

Regarding the question, -4/(16+x^2) has been reduced, and I will leave it like this, which I think is the correct answer. So thanks again guys!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook