Solve Derivative Problem: Find Max Volume of Cylinder w/100in2 Surface Area

• Thread starter notastring
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: That's not really a summary, but it's a good explanation of the solution. So, in summary, to find the maximum volume for a cylindrical can with a total surface area of 100 square inches, we can set the derivative of the volume with respect to the radius equal to zero and solve for the radius. This will give us the optimal radius for maximizing the volume. Then, we can plug this value back into the equation for the height in terms of the radius to find the corresponding height. The specific solution for this problem is H = 2R, but the general solution would maximize the volume for any given surface area.
notastring

Homework Statement

A company wants to build a cylindrical can with a total surface area of 100 square inches, which includes the bottom and top of the can. Find the dimensions that maximize the volume.

Homework Equations

volume of a cylinder = 2*pi*r^2*h
surface area of cylinder = 2*pi*r^2 + 2*pi*r*h

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote a huge wall of text detailing how I solved the problem, but when I went to post I had gotten logged out due to how much time I spent on the post. So I'm going to make this short and just explicate my process:

I took the formula for constant surface area 100 inches squared and solved for the height in terms of the radius. Then, I plugged that equation (h in terms of r) into the volume and took the derivative of the volume with respect to the radius.

I set the derivative equal to zero to find the radius that gives the max volume, and I got
r = sqrt(50/(pi*3))

Then I plugged r back into the equation for h in terms of r, and simplifying, I got:
h = sqrt(150/pi) - sqrt(50/(3*pi))

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answer sheet I have says that I should have gotten H = 2R. Indeed my answer reflects this, but should I have arrived at a general solution H = 2R instead of the exact answers I got? How would I go about solving this generally?

Was my approach fine? Could someone maybe solve it for me in an alternate manner? I would really appreciate iany advice. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
notastring said:

Homework Statement

A company wants to build a cylindrical can with a total surface area of 100 square inches, which includes the bottom and top of the can. Find the dimensions that maximize the volume.

Homework Equations

volume of a cylinder = 2*pi*r^2*h
surface area of cylinder = 2*pi*r^2 + 2*pi*r*h

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote a huge wall of text detailing how I solved the problem, but when I went to post I had gotten logged out due to how much time I spent on the post.
There a setting that stops you from being logged out like that ... though I used to write out my posts on a text editor and copy-and-paste it over ;)
So I'm going to make this short and just explicate my process:

I took the formula for constant surface area 100 inches squared and solved for the height in terms of the radius. Then, I plugged that equation (h in terms of r) into the volume and took the derivative of the volume with respect to the radius.

I set the derivative equal to zero to find the radius that gives the max volume, and I got
r = sqrt(50/(pi*3))

Then I plugged r back into the equation for h in terms of r, and simplifying, I got:
h = sqrt(150/pi) - sqrt(50/(3*pi))

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answer sheet I have says that I should have gotten H = 2R. Indeed my answer reflects this, but should I have arrived at a general solution H = 2R instead of the exact answers I got? How would I go about solving this generally?
The question asks for the specific solution - the general relation would maximize the volume for any given surface area.

If surface area [itex]S= 2\pi R H+ 2\pi R^2 [/itex] and you want to maximize the volume [itex]V= \pi R^2H[/itex] then [itex]\nabla V= 2\pi RH\vec{i}+ \pi R^2\vec{j}[/itex] must be a multiple of [itex]\nabla S= (2\pi H+ 4\pi R)\vec{i}+ 2\pi R\vec{j}[/itex]. That means we must have [itex]2\pi RH= \lambda(2\pi H+ 4\pi R)[/itex] and [itex]\pi R^2= 2\lambda\pi R[/itex] for some constant [itex]\lambda[/itex]. We can eliminate [itex]\lambda[/itex] by dividing the first equation by the second:
[tex]\frac{2\pi RH}{\pi R^2}= \frac{2\pi H+ 4\pi R}{2\pi R}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2H}{R}= \frac{H+ 2R}{R}[/tex]
[tex]2H= H+ 2R[/tex]
[tex]H= 2R[/tex]

Hey thanks!

1. How do you find the maximum volume of a cylinder with a surface area of 100in2?

To find the maximum volume of a cylinder with a given surface area, we can use the derivative of the volume formula. First, we need to express the volume formula in terms of one variable, either the radius or the height. Then, we take the derivative of the volume formula and set it equal to zero. Solving for the variable will give us the value that maximizes the volume of the cylinder.

2. What is the formula for the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for the volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder. This formula can be derived from the formula for the surface area of a cylinder, which is S = 2πrh + 2πr2.

3. Can the maximum volume of a cylinder with a given surface area be found without calculus?

No, the maximum volume of a cylinder with a given surface area cannot be found without the use of calculus. Calculus allows us to find the maximum or minimum values of a function by taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero.

4. Is the maximum volume of a cylinder with a given surface area unique?

Yes, the maximum volume of a cylinder with a given surface area is unique. This is because the derivative of the volume formula is a continuous function, so there can only be one value that maximizes the volume.

5. Can the same method be used to find the maximum volume of other shapes with a given surface area?

Yes, the same method can be used to find the maximum volume of other shapes with a given surface area. This method is known as optimization and can be applied to various shapes and functions to find their maximum or minimum values.