Solve (x^2+1)^(x^3) Derivative

• Thread starter Mr. Snookums
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the code suggests that x^2+1 is raised to x^3. To solve for this, take the logarithm and differentiate.
Mr. Snookums
[tex](x^2+1)^(x^3)[/tex]

I'm not sure how to do this. Any tips? How would I treat the power?

Should be x^3 as the power, not 3x.

Physics news on Phys.org
For that, its probably easiest to simply multiply out the bracket, which would give you an expression with two terms, then differentiate those two terms separately.

Last edited:
danago said:
For that, its probably easiest to simply multiply out the bracket, which would give you an expression with two terms, then differentiate those two terms separately.
His tex code seems to suggest that x^2+1 is raised to x^3. In this case, you can easily solve it by taking the logarithm and then differentiate (I find it simpler that way).

oh. my mistake then

Okay, I assume that you mean:
[tex]y = (x ^ 2 + 1) ^ {x ^ 3}[/tex]
Ok, I'll give you an example:
Example:
Differentiate xx with respect to x.
There are 2 ways to solve it.
------------
The first way is to try to change xx into esomething. Then from there, we can just use the Chain Rule to arrive at what the problem asks.
[tex]x ^ x = \left( e ^ {ln x} \right) ^ x = e ^ {x \ln x}[/tex]
Now we have:
[tex]\left( x ^ x \right)' = \left( e ^ {x \ln x} \right)' = (x \ln x)' e ^ {x \ln x} = (\ln x + 1) e ^ {x \ln x} = x ^ x (\ln x + 1)[/tex]
------------
The second way is to let y = xx
Now take the natural log of both sides, we have: ln y = ln(xx) = x ln x.
Now differentiate both sides with respect to x gives:
[tex]\frac{y'_x}{y} = \ln x + 1[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow y'_x = y( \ln x + 1)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow y'_x = x ^ x ( \ln x + 1)[/tex]
------------
The two methods give the same result. Now can you go from here? :)

Just to expand a bit on the second way and why you can do that...

In your original problem you are looking for [tex]\frac{d}{dx}((x ^ 2 + 1) ^ {x ^ 3})[/tex]

Note that there is no y involved anywhere in the expression, but if you introduce a "dummy variable" y and set it equal to the given expression you get [tex]y=(x ^ 2 + 1) ^ {x ^ 3}[/tex]

Notice now that [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}((x ^ 2 + 1) ^ {x ^ 3})[/tex] In other words, if you can manipulate the new equation ([itex]y=(x ^ 2 + 1) ^ {x ^ 3}[/itex])and solve for [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] then you will have solved for the initial derivative.

Last edited:
Ah, yes. I had forgotten all about solving these buggers with logarithms. Thank you.

1. What is the derivative of (x^2+1)^(x^3)?

The derivative of (x^2+1)^(x^3) is (x^2+1)^(x^3) * (3x^2 * ln(x^2+1) + 2x/(x^2+1)).

2. How do you solve for the derivative of (x^2+1)^(x^3)?

To solve for the derivative of (x^2+1)^(x^3), you can use the chain rule and the power rule of derivatives. First, take the natural logarithm of both sides to rewrite the function as (x^3)ln(x^2+1). Then, use the power rule to find the derivative of x^3, which is 3x^2. Finally, use the chain rule to find the derivative of ln(x^2+1), which is 2x/(x^2+1). Multiply these two derivatives together to get the final result.

3. Can the derivative of (x^2+1)^(x^3) be simplified further?

No, the derivative of (x^2+1)^(x^3) cannot be simplified further. However, you can rewrite it as (x^2+1)^(x^3) * (3x^2 * ln(x^2+1) + 2x/(x^2+1)) for a more simplified form.

4. Is there a graph that can help understand the derivative of (x^2+1)^(x^3)?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator or a graphing software to plot the graph of (x^2+1)^(x^3) and its derivative, (x^2+1)^(x^3) * (3x^2 * ln(x^2+1) + 2x/(x^2+1)). This can help you visualize the relationship between the function and its derivative.

5. How can the derivative of (x^2+1)^(x^3) be applied in real life?

The derivative of (x^2+1)^(x^3) can be useful in many real-life situations, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, which can be helpful in optimizing production or minimizing costs in economics. It can also be used to find the rate of change of a physical quantity, such as velocity or acceleration, in physics. In engineering, it can be used to analyze and design systems that involve exponential growth or decay.