1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of trigonometric functions - Question

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Derivative of:

(ln(cos4x)) / 12x^2

2. Relevant equations

y' ln(x) = 1/x

3. The attempt at a solution

I have determined the correct answer, but I am still confused as to how I came to the solution. Starting with the numerator, the derivative of cos is -sin. This would produce ln(-4sin(4x)) in the numerator. Now, to take the derivative of the natural log, I would do ln(x)= 1/x, correct? So 1/-4sin(4x)?

Why does the final numerator come out to -4tan(4x)? I know I am missing a basic rule or overlooking something... but why does it become tangent?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You would NOT get ln(-4sin(4x)) in the numerator. You are forgetting the Chain Rule: [f(g(x))]' = f '(g(x) )* g '(x). Apply this to f(.) = ln (.) and g(x) = cos(4x).

RGV

4. Jul 12, 2011 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

First of all, this is a quotient so you need to use the quotient rule.

[tex]y=\frac{u}{v}[/tex] where u and v are functions of x, then [tex]y'=\frac{v'u-u'v}{v^2}[/tex]

Now, only tricky part there would be to determine u'. Since u=ln(cos(4x)) then we need to apply the chain rule, and Ray Vickson has already shown how this should be done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook